Sam and I have decided that it would be sooooo lame to leave here a year or two from now without having really seen the East coast. So, I spent a lot of time this week looking up famous attractions in nearby states and popular tourist attractions here in Maryland, and I made a huge list of everything we want to do. We plan to do one a week until we run out of things to do (which should happen around Thanksgiving or Christmas if we don't add anything new). I plan to post about our trip each week and to include a small blurb explaining the site. That is partially for me and my journal, but mostly because I know you all desperately need lessons in both history and culture. You may call me Dr. Ricks. (Hey, professors get to be called Dr., and I definitely deserve a doctorate in baby-growing. So there.) Alright, here is Eastern Excursion, week 1:

Fort McHenry is a star-shaped fort built after the American Revolution to protect the Port of Baltimore. The only attack on Fort McHenry happened during the War of 1812. Starting on September 13, 1814, British warships continuously bombarded the port for 25 hours during heavy rain. They finally withdrew on the morning of September 14th. When Francis Scott Key, who witnessed the bombarment, saw the American flag still standing that morning, he was so touched he wrote a poem called "The Defense of Port McHenry."
Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
The poem was later set to the tune of the British song "To Anacreon in Heaven" and re-named "The Star-Spangled Banner." It is now a national tradition that whenever a new flag is designed, it first flies over Fort McHenry. (The first official 49 and 50 star flags were flown first over the fort.) The fort currently flies a replica of the original 15-star flag.


10 comments:
Good for you for taking advantage of your location.
How do the kids like the excursions?
Um, cool for you! Looking back, I realize how lame we were. We did the church history stuff, but nothing else. And we were in the east 6 years! Lame-o!!!
Super cool, Janae! And good for you guys for taking advantage of the east coast and for sharing it. Thank you! :-) Elijah and Seara will thank you one day.
What a good idea. Looks like Enoch had a great time hanging out with you.
I'm excited for you to go, so we can see everything too :). Look at you - you look great! You would have never thought you just had a baby (except for the fact that he is strapped to you). Looks like fun :)
I love your excursion idea. We should have done that when we lived in Georgia.
I'm excited for the history lessons! Loved this first one and I look forward to many more.
It's great that you're taking advantage of being somewhere new. Jason has mentioned a couple of times that if you give a place half a chance, you'll learn to love it. I believe that. I used to think that Idaho was a boring, lame place. But I've actually come to prefer the slower pace and openness. I'm excited to hear about all your new discoveries.
Oh my gosh...I LOVE!!! your short hair!
So cute!
If you are ever in the Boston / Maine area let us know we can give you a few hints also! ;)
I saw Ft. McHenry on one of those travel reality shows. It was like Amazing Race, but it was just about American History, with some England and France connections. Looks cool.
Post a Comment