Saturday, July 19, 2008

Changing my Name

When I got married I was a bit torn about changing my last name. On the one hand, taking Samuel's name seemed sooooo romantic. On the other had, I felt a bit disconcerted about giving up a name I loved. I was a Smith. Best last name EVER. No one said it wrong, no one spelled it wrong, no one teased you. I mean, I was grateful Samuel's last name was relatively benign (and not something awful ... like this really sweet kid in my high school whose name was VanWeird), but still. I did actually throw out the idea of Samuel taking my name (Sam Smith?) and he was sweet enough to say he would (probably just to appease me because we were engaged and because he knew I'd never really make him do it.) Today, however, I came across a very great reason to have taken his name.

Janae
* There are 4,569 people in the U.S. with the first name Janae.
* Statistically the 2762nd most popular first name.
* More than 99.9 percent of people with the first name Janae are female. (Thats a relief!)

Smith
* There are 3,064,500 people in the U.S. with the last name Smith.
* Statistically the 1st most popular last name. (Like I said. Best last name EVER.)


Janae Smith

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
46
people with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?


I actually know two of the other Janae Smiths. One went to my dry cleaner. The other was a girl in my home ward also named Janae, who happened to marry a guy with the last name Smith. Weird, huh?!

Ricks
* There are 27,416 people in the U.S. with the last name Ricks. (And we're probably all related. Thank you Thomas E. Ricks - founder of Ricks College.)
* Statistically the 1298th most popular last name.


Janae Ricks

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
1
or fewer people with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?



One or fewer? Um, if I just said that was my name, how could there be fewer than one??

Still, I went from one of 46, to being the ONLY ONE in the U.S. (and probably the world) with my name (because obviously everything the internet tells you is true). Not half bad.

3 comments:

Cara said...

Okay, that's fun. So there are 22 of Barry, 4 of me, 2 of Hallie, 1 (or fewer) of Liam, 3 of Ethan, and 1 (or fewer)of Amalie. Haha! That's funny!

Lissa Nelson said...

There are 2 or fewer of Severin. How is there only one Janae Ricks and there are two Severin Nelsons?? There are 7 of me. Lame. The funniest part, I think, is that my name is statistically the 2762nd most popular first name (same as yours...um, what?) and there are 4,570 people in the U.S. with the first name Lissa (one more than yours). Go figure.

Sarah Johnson said...

I know there are probably about 7 million sarah johnsons out there, so I didn't even bother to get the real stat!(I think I'd be depressed--I always wanted a more unique name!) I think there are several hundred within DC alone!

I'm glad you took Sam's last name. One or fewer in the US....now that's what I call unique!!
By the way, CONGRATS on ENITH! What a wonderful story about the birth (all I can say is wow). I loved reading all the details-so amazing and so hilarious. :)