
Today Samuel and I began decorating for Christmas. We put up the wreath on the front door, ran a garland down the stair railing, and began getting out the nativities. Tomorrow we'll do the tree and the final odds and ends. The main part of our day, however, was putting the lights up on the house. (And trees - three regular, one spruce, but we didn't have extension chords long enough to light those yet, so a follow up picture will come.) Most of the reason we did this is because I really did not want Samuel climbing all over an ice-covered roof in 30* weather. Now the question is, is it sacrilegious to turn on Christmas lights before Thanksgiving (and this close to Halloween)? Honestly, tell me what you think. If you don't want to make a comment, at least vote (and if you do make a comment, vote as well)! I'm really curious about this!
*I reserve the right to do whatever I please, regardless of what the poll results turn out to be! :)
Saturday, November 3, 2007
When is too early?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
I completely understand your logic. And besides, I have always loved Christmas decorations and wish that they could stay up longer to enjoy them longer.
Hey, it's your house and so you can turn your lights on whenever you want!! ;-)
You could always have the lights up but not turn them on until late November. And, of course, more lights on means bigger power bills. eeks. So maybe you'll want to wait a bit to light up the neighborhood!
I must say it's a little early for me. Though I have no problem with putting up the outside lights this early. I just wouldn't turn them on until after Thanksgiving. But when it comes to indoor Christmas decorations, it's just too early for me. Plus, it feels like Thanksgiving is just skipped, and I think Thanksgiving is an important and beautiful holiday. So there is my two cents! Obviously everyone is different and you can do what you want. :)
This is too funny! I just read another friend's blog about when it's appropriate to put Christmas decorations up. For me, it's a little early to put up ALL the decorations. I can see your point in wanting the lights up before it's cold and icy...smart. I agree with Cara though, I wouldn't do the rest of the decorations until after Thanksgiving.
After Thanksgiving for us.
First...our association would threaten us with hearings and fines. We are not allowed to put up any holiday decorations until after Thanksgiving.
Second...Thanksgiving gets overlooked enough as it is.
Third...I think I might get tired of having the same decorations up for 2 months
Fourth...I am so burnt out from Halloween that I have absolutely no desire to put up Christmas decorations right after I have taken down Halloween jive.
With that being said I can totally understand not wanting to put the lights up in the snow. I would probably put them up but not start turning them on until after Thanksgiving.
The lights on your house look great and I am sure the inside is full of holiday cheer. If it makes you happy decorating this early I say go for it!
After Agust everything goes.... :) I'm not sure you want the power bill though... I'll wait until a fter Thankgiven (I'm doing it the next day...how boring !!!)
Not boring, Sandra--
we're not even puting UP Christmas decor this year (since we'll be out of town for the last 1/2 of December)...take THAT for 'boring'! ;)
I for one LOVE the Christmas season. If only my husband would let me, I'd play Christmas music all year long! But, as tradtion continues, we typically put all our decorations up the day after Thanksgiving. I can't wait! Looking at the picture of your house all lit up makes me so excited for the season to come!
Surprise, surprise--I pretty much agree with Cara. I think it stinks how Thanksgiving just gets totally skipped over, especially by retailers. And now they're starting to encroach on Halloween. Costco has had Christmas stuff for sale for months now. I don't know what that's about! Anyway...I'm all about getting the lights on the roof before it gets too cold/dangerous, but I just wouldn't turn them on until after Thanksgiving.
And it's thanks to people like you that I informed Jeffrey this weekend that I will not go shopping anymore until Christmas is over. As of Friday, event he grocery stores had started with the Christmas music.
However, I will pretend that I didn't know this little bit of information about you and like you anyway. :)
Hey Janae-
I just thought I'd let you know that BYU has christmas decorations up everywhere already--like christmas trees all over the wilk. Just thought I'd let you know that you're not alone :).
-Natalie
Hey janae, I totally understand your logic. (Although we're sticking with after THanksgiving.) Christmas stuff reeeally early kind of bugs me. But not lights on someone's house, more of all the christmas "pressure" to buy and get "stuff" earlier and earlier. Target had their Christmas stuff up BEFORE Halloween. Now that's just wrong.
Whoa! People are really serious about this topic. :) I LOVE Christmas and whenever I try and start to decorate after Thanksgiving, it just doesn't get done until the middle of December! I've tried for several years now, so for me I'm up for any time in November so that it is actually done and over with by Thanksgiving. Davis put up our lights on Saturday and we turned them on for a couple nights then I realized I didn't want to pay for the power bill before Thanksgiving. So, we're waiting to turn them on. I think I will slowly start decorating the inside of the house now. It seriously takes forever with the girls around and deciding where to put things, etc. Plus, Christmas is the best time of year. People are kinder and just happier overall. People are more friendly to neighbors and strangers and are more service oriented... it doesn't hurt to have the Christmas spirit in our hearts a month longer. (Though I am bugged at the fact that stores want to make more money so that's the only reason they start early.)
Post a Comment