Friday, November 16, 2007

a Random tagging

I'm supposed to write six random things about myself. I don't think I ever realized how weird I really am. Oh well. I'm okay with my oddities, and its too late for Samuel to get out. He's sealed. :)

1) I was a really vain little four year-old. My mom would put me in my bed for a nap, and I would always move so that I was laying down in front of a large hanging mirror in my bedroom. That way I could stare at myself until I fell asleep.

2) When I was about seven years old my sister dared me to say "Bloody Mary" three times while looking in a mirror in the dark. If you do it Bloody Queen Mary (you know, that queen of England who killed people who weren't Catholics) will appear and do something terribly frightening and atrocious (okay, that part may not be true, but that's what my seven year-old brain assumed). Well, I tried it and scared myself out of my wits. And to this day I refuse to look in mirrors at night. I have to pass two to use the rest room in the middle of the night, and I always look down and to the opposite direction as I speed past. In fact, I did that just a couple nights ago.

3) As a kid my mom put me in violin lessons. I learned Suzuki style. I was really good. I mean, REALLY good. So good, that to spare her poor ears, my older sister once hid my violin in the oven.

4) As a little kid I used to put on my own musicals in our yard. It was kinda like the Sound of Music at the very beginning when Maria is singing and spinning with video cameras taping from above. The strangest part is that I always imagined I was singing to the plants in the yard, and I would be so touched by my own songs that I would always end up making myself cry.

5) During high school we would get out of class 2:25, and I would book it to my locker (ignoring everyone on the way), be in my car by 2:29, and be home by 2:34, making it just in time to see The Magic School Bus and Arthur. I told my little sister Lissa about this yesterday, and she asked if my friends knew about it. My answer? Heck no!

6) I once painted my toe nails while driving down the freeway. At least the car was an automatic. But man, can you be more stupid than that?!

I'm not tagging anyone in particular, but if you feel the need to confess strange and random facts about yourself, go right ahead.

5 comments:

denise @ little ant design said...

I'm coming clean...I have the exact same fear of mirrors at night and it is for the exact same reasons - the stupid bloody mary dare. I don't know if Derek even knows this about me although I am sure he wouldn;t be surprised since I have a ton of abnormal fears anyway. It seriously scares me to look in the mirror if the room is dark.

Megan said...

I'm freaked out by mirrors in the dark too, but for a different reason. I think it comes from watching too many scary movies where people look into the mirrors and see the bad guys standing behind them.

Natalie said...

Janae, you are the most hysterical person ever. I enjoyed reading this post immensely.

P.S. I watched Arthur all through high school too. :)

Cara said...

Well, I knew most of those, but not all. My favorite is #4. That is so funny! I wanted you to say the story about you trying to convince all us kids that you jumped off the roof in Ecuador and landed on your knees. You were so obsessed with that story! :)

ps I only vaguely remember hiding your violin in the oven. :)

pps I watched Arthur/Magic School Bus in college- and somehow used it as an extra credit project in an El. Ed. science class! :)

Cara said...

Oh, and sorry for ingraining this fear of mirrors in you...I vividly remember doing that bloody mary thing in the downstairs bathroom in Ecuador. But I'm fine. Mirrors at night don't bother me at all. By the way, isn't it weird that two of your 6 random things involve mirrors? What does that mean? :)