Monday, November 19, 2007

Do we look that young?!


This is our most recent (last month) family picture. Now I have question. How young do Samuel and I really look? Because we've noticed a recurring trend on being presumed younger than we are. Samuel gets it more than I do, but I still have my moments. For example:

*On my mission I was asked if I was 14, Samuel was asked if he was 12.

*At BYU during Samuel's senior year, he was asked if he was a freshman.

* At a party this summer someone guessed that I was Lissa's younger sister (I'm three years older).

* While visiting a family with the Elders recently, Samuel was flirted with by the teenage daughter, who thought Sam was going out with the Elders to prep for his mission.

* At a bridal shower the other day an older woman asked how many of us "young people" had kids. I was the only one. So she asks me, "Boy or girl." "Um, both." "Twins?" "No, they are 15 months apart." She looked at me as if I were way too young to have two kids. (Side note: my mom had three kids when she was a year younger than I am now. So did my older sister, Cara.)

* In a meeting with the two Ward Mission Leaders in our area and the Elders, the WML in the ward next door didn't realize that Samuel was the WML for our ward, he thought Sam was one of the Elders. So, he started asking Samuel where he was from, how long he'd been serving here, etc.

* While running our half marathon this summer, a woman running by and chatting with us asked if we lived in the same apartment complex. She was shocked to find out we were married. She was even more shocked to find out how long. She was floored when she realized we have two kids.

* A couple weeks ago in the temple the woman sitting next to me had seen Samuel and I together, and she leaned over to me with a sweet-ish "awwww!" voice and asked, "How long have you two been married? [Insert big grin]" Her face was visibly shocked when I told her, "Three years."

Are you picking up on the trend? Honestly, do we really look that young?!

4 comments:

Ruth said...

You look like a beautiful couple in your early 20s.

Davis Smith said...

It's hard to say how young you guys look because I've known you both for so long. So, I couldn't say. However, I know what it's like to look younger than you are -- it is soooooo annoying! Sometimes I wish I could walk around with a sign that says my age so people would take me more seriously.

Jolie said...

As annoying as it may be now, you'll both be grateful for your youthful appearance when you're in your 50s, 60s, and so on!!

Also, I thought that by Samuel getting mistaken for one of the missionaries is a good sign!!! That just means that your hubby still looks like a missionary! He still keeps up his appearance as one representing the Savior ought to. (I mean, no shaggy beard, no tattered clothes, nose piercings...that sort of thing.)
So tell him, way to go!! ;-)

Your family picture is very beautiful! What precious little faces your children have!!

Sharalea said...

I agree with Jolie--be grateful!

Trevor & I actually ENJOY to be assumed younger than we really are (granted--we are older than you two: I've got you by almost 3 years & Trevor adds 7 to your age) so just think...in a few years you'll be lovin' the compliments!!!