Thursday, September 1, 2011

UGH.

UGH.  I've been reading a certain somebody's blog lately, but it's not good for me. Because every time I read it I want to start my life over (starting at college, everything before that was fine) and live it the way she did.  I want all her talents.  And I want brown hair.


Good things that have come from reading her blog? I now wear my contacts every day.  And I do my hair. Every day. And I bought my very first straightener.  (I'll just fess up here that I haven't had a curling iron or anything similar for about six years.)  Basically I'm trying to be prettier.  Cuz her fiance is friends with my husband, and I'm feeling bad for Sam that said fiance got the pretty girl and Sam lucked out.

Funny, I felt just fine about myself before I started reading her blog.  What was it that that Baz Luhrmann song said? Oh yeah, "Do not read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly."  SO TRUE.

15 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh, you're kidding me, right? I always see your pictures on your blog and wish I were as pretty as you! I know the feeling though. There's definitely a few people I love but hate being around because I just feel so frumpy with them. I just haven't quite found the motivating push to care enough to do my hair and makeup every day anymore. Sorry, Allen.

Ruth said...

Pu-lease Janae! The least you could do is put a link to this girls blog so we can all feel your same envy. Just wait til they have kids and they all are reading by 2 and all sit on the couch folding their arms quietly all the time, then what will we do?

ALYN said...

Well if her blog is uplifting you, that's great. If it's causing you to compare and beat yourself up, that's not good.

Sam knows he's got a beautiful amazing wife and 3 precious kids, with or with out makeup. I'm sure he'll tell you that anytime!

Cara said...

haha! Cute pic of you. :) I figured you *must* be talking about me, until you mentioned said girl is engaged. And considering I've been married 11+ years and have 4 kids...I guess it's not me.

The Pingels said...

I did my hair for the first time in about 2 weeks yesterday, but only because I was going to attend a baby shower. p.s. They don't have kids yet. Look at her blog in 5 years + 1-3 kids later. The "pretty" will start to fade a little.

janae said...

Cara - [hold on, I'm laughing so hard I'm hyperventilating] Since when did you have brown hair??! You're awesome.

Linds - That actually made me feel better! Yeah, we all kind of fade/wilt/dim/etc. don't we? But our boys get pot-bellies/love handles, so really, it's fair. :)

Sam Ricks said...

Extremely attractive, witty, and intelligent=only Janae

janae said...

I was about to say that you are biased, but then I remembered that you are the one I'm trying to impress. Phew! :)

Paige said...

@Sam: awwwwwwww

@Janae: you are a babe. Period. I don't even need to add the part about being a babe despite having THREE kids.

I had to stop myself from reading blogs of girls who post cute pictures of themselves every day--I can't take it!!

Sarah Rachelle said...

If you're thinking that about that person's blog, I'm sure someone's thinking the same thing about you! I, for one, always think you're pretty!

And don't forget that photos on people's blogs (and in magazines) are so selective! Of COURSE they pick the best pictures of themselves! It's so unrealistic. Tell them to take a picture of themselves right after they wake up from a deep, snoring, drooling sleep and post THAT. That's realistic.

Babydoll said...

I can't believe how long your hair is! I, for one, love reading your blog, because you talk about activities with your kids and don't dwell on fashion and beauty. I can't keep up with some of the women out there, even if I tried. I don't think you need to change anything to be 'prettier.' Just saying!

katieo said...

hey! At least there are blogs like mine out there - you know - the ones that will make you feel better about EVERYTHING in your life!! parenting! looks! how long you let your child's hair grow before they get a haircut! How clean your house is! ha! Your welcome.

(p.s. I read something on a friend's blog awhile ago that has stuck with me. It's the filter through which I read every blog now: "Comparison is the thief of joy.")

janae said...

Katie - You make me laugh so hard!! Interestingly, when I read your blog I want to cut my hair short and just let it do it's thing, and stop wearing make up, because you are just so cute au natural. I love that quote, too. I need to remember that!

Anonymous said...

I've read a remarkable book recently dealing with how comparison is the thief of happiness; you might like it! Here's the title: "The Gifts of Imperfection: Let go of who you think you're supposed to be and embrace who you are" by Brene Brown.

Krishele said...

Funny that. Because of a worsening dry eye issue that I have, I've had to start wearing glasses everyday. Remember that post when I commented about the fact that I just couldn't wear glasses because of all the inconveniences? I think of it almost daily when I'm leaning so close to the mirror cause I can't see my hair to do it. Interesting how things turn out sometimes.

You know, it's really easy to get down on yourself, esp when reading other people's blogs. Despite the best of intentions and desires I always find myself doing the comparison game. Maybe it's just human nature (or woman nature). I think I have been even prone to that this past year which is probably why I just hibernated and stuff. But really, nobody is going to go on a blog and tell everyone how awful they are. We are all perfectly us and needed that way (well, mostly. I guess we are always trying to improve). Some people are good at putting themselves together every day and that's what is important to them. I do my hair and makeup because I feel better when I look better. But I really despise the amount of time it takes each day (even though comparatively...to some other women, it probably isn't that long). Well, ramble, ramble. I don't even know if what I'm typing is making any sense, but I guess what I'm saying is that I love you just the way you are...because you are who you are....and you aren't someone else.