Sam got into gardening at age 13 with an epiphany. "The prophet said to plant a garden. My family is not doing that. I'll have to do it myself." So he did. He planted corn, tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes. The first thing he harvested were some wild grapes already growing in the yard. He made grape juice. When his family tried it, they spit it out, it was so disgusting. And from then on they refused to eat anything from his garden. To this days he swears that the potatoes he harvested were the best potatoes he's ever eaten.
My story is much simpler. My maternal grandparents were master gardeners (former farmers). My parents always had a garden. I expected to have one. And so, this spring, after seven years of marriage, Sam and I were finally able to plant our very first garden! Unfortunately, we planted on the very last day and the harvest has been mostly pathetic.
- Pole beans: They poled fine. But I've only gotten about 25 beans.
- Peas: Three of four plants burned up within a month. The last plant has given us about 18 peas.
- Butternut Squash: Didn't grow a single leaf for two months. But now I've got two 6-inch beauties coming.
- Pumpkins: The plant is huge, but every time a little pumpkin starts, it shrivels within a week. Right now I have three bouncy ball sized pumpkins. And it's almost October.
- Tomatoes: I got a large starter from Costco, so we've gotten tons of beautiful tomatoes.
- Strawberries: Coming along beautifully. Wasn't expecting anything this year.
- Zucchini: At first we got quite a few (7), but now the starts keep snapping off randomly.
- Crookneck: We got 3, and are now having the same start-snapping problem.
- Parsley: Big and gorgeous, but I haven't a clue what to do with it! So I've never used it.
- Cilantro: It was too hot and it went straight to bloom. No cilantro.
- Rosemary: Absolutely beautiful, I've made some crazy good bread.
- Basil: My baby! It was huge and healthy, and I made so many yummy things. Finished the season off by making and freezing my own pesto. (Thanks, Sara!)
Here's the problem with the snakes. Garter snakes eat large bugs (which I am particularly scared of) and mice. And with the field full of mice in our backyard, and the mouse living in my front flower garden, I'm not so sure I want Sam (obviously it wouldn't be me!) to get rid of the snakes yet. It's a catch 22. If only snakes ate gophers. Cuz the guy that keeps digging up my backyard has pretty much become Family Enemy #1. Problem is, there are millions in the field, so killing this guy wouldn't solve the problem. Really, we need to dig 20 feet down and put a wire fence that spans my entire yard. Any volunteers?
ps. I want to make some rosemary olive oil and I have this beautiful glass bottle to put it in. Anyone know how to do that? How much to put in? What else I should add? Garlic, maybe?


11 comments:
I've never done it, but i think you just warm them up together (the rosemary and the oil, not the snakes and the gopher). They call it "infusing". I'd be careful on how much garlic because you don't want it to overpower.
Recipes for your pesto and rosemary bread please!
Caroline - Speaking of warming the snakes and gopher up together, is it bad to secretly admit that I've wanted to catch the snakes and drop them down the gopher/mouse holes? Cuz I kind of really have.
Lindsey - I got the pesto recipe from here:
http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/sauce/recipe-last-chance-basil-pesto-004579
The rosemary bread (which is HEAVENLY with olive oil and balsamic vinegar) is from my Betty Crocker cookbook. Give me a minute and I'll type it up for you.
Yum, go you! Fresh Rosemary for bread would be heavenly. Gives me some ideas for next year.
Lindsey - Just kidding, the recipe in Betty Crocker is my other favorite bread. The rosemary one is on AllRecipes:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jos-rosemary-bread/detail.aspx
I occasionally do it in the bread machine, but I'll also make it like traditional bread (and just follow the typical mixing and rising patterns, you know, dissolve the yeast first, etc.)
I didn't know Sam had a gardening history. That was funny/impressive. We haven't really had any problems with critters in our garden so I don't know what to tell you. The underground fence sounds good to me. Good luck with that.
Well, don't feel bad. Your garden did a hundred times better than mine. :) No idea on the possible creatures. All we got are lots and lots of bugs, and the stray cats that walk through since we haven't finished one of the gates into the yard.
Cara - Yeah, I think we'll go with the fence. Let me know next time you're in town and we'll work on it together. :)
Don't get rid of the snakes! They're you're only hope for keeping the mice down. For gophers, I read that they like eating roots from the bottom, so to stop them, build a deeper raised bed, but put a wire mesh fabric on the bottom first to keep them from digging up into it.
For the rosemary oil, just stuff the bottle with a good amount of rosemary and a few cloves of garlic, pour in the oil and let it sit for a couple months. I don't think there's any exact measuring involved. The bread sounds yummy!
And one plant that is pretty animal proof for me is jalapenos. Not many animals can take the heat! haha! My strawberries only gave me a handful, but they are sending off shoots like crazy, so next year I'm hoping the harvest will be great. My tomatoes are always dismal. I'm just not a good container tomato gardener. :-( Your garden looks so pretty!
Your squashes probably needed some kind of fertilizer which gives them good vitamins and minerals. Miracle grow is pretty good, or you can make your own fertilizer tea using grass clippings: http://www.motherearthnews.com/homemade-fertilizer-tea-recipes-zm0z11zkon.aspx
Wow, I'm just full of advice! Great job on planting a garden!
Thanks, Sarah!
Good job on your garden!!! I'm glad to hear you were getting some yield from it. I've never had any luck with pumpkins either. Jason & I put in a couple of square foot gardens in our yard complete with drip system watering connected to the timed sprinkler system. I had it made. I also planted a whole bunch of strawberries and a few raspberries on the side of my house. Didn't get any raspberries, but the strawberries were beautiful...even on the first year!!! (Which is the ONLY year I got to enjoy them.) I've never tried the fresh herbs, I think it scares me to try to cook with them.
I am actually fascinated by snakes. They are pretty cool, but I'd never want to own one for a pet or anything. But I figure if it's not dangerous, and it takes care of other problems like mice & big bugs, leave it. Sorry about the gophers. We had grubs that would eat the roots of our grass and leave big ol' yellow dead spots all over our lawn. You don't realize just what you're getting into with a yard and home-ownership when you first get into it, but I still miss it all the same. I want my own place.
Post a Comment