When Sam and I first saw the advertisements for the New Testament Project, we knew it was perfect. Sam enjoys acting and has wanted to participate in something ever since we got married. He has no formal training and limited experience (all play-acting: some children's theater as a kid, cast three times as a young teen, and lead four times in high school, although it must be noted that he comes from a very small town and that was all over 11 years ago). But, being an extra doesn't require any experience at all, so he was good. And though I couldn't be in it because I don't look the part (unless they include a Viking attack in Jerusalem), I have always wanted to see Sam with long hair and a beard (oohlala!) Thus it was that Sam began growing out his hair and beard in October 2010.
Over 10,000 people applied to be extras for the New Testament project, and by December these were pared down to only a few thousand. Sam's olive skin and dark hair must have tipped the scale, because he was accepted as an extra. The approved extras were then invited to audition for speaking parts in January. Sam only ever planned on being an extra, and we laughed about him trying out because he pretty much stood an ice cube's chance in you-know-where. But hey, why not shoot for the moon? Sam signed up for an audition date almost as a joke.
In February we got an email saying that Sam had made the first cut, and we laughed out loud. That's so hilarious! Back pats and hearty laughs were given all around. Rather than do call-backs, they were having the director review film of the first try-outs, and he would decide who made the cut, so Sam didn't have anything else to do. We continued on with life, because the fun was surely going to stop there.
In April we got an email saying Sam made the second cut, and requesting he audition with the director. Okay, this was kind of getting serious. In a funny sort of way. Of the original 2,702 auditioning actors, only 62 were left. And basically everyone but Sam was a professional actor with an agent. When he finally auditioned with the director, Sam wasn't sure how he felt about it. Like any perfectionist, he felt like he could have done better. But it's not like he was going to get a part, so oh well! By this point we were thinking that Sam's man beard was doing all the talking, and we were expecting a glorified extra part. Like shop-keeper #6 or fish-seller #13.
We didn't hear back for a month, and when we did, it was a 7:33 pm email, requesting new beard-shots for a 7:00 am meeting the next morning. We sent in midnight pictures taken in our bedroom (the ones in this post). Two weeks later we got an email requesting info for ecclesiastical clearance. (Are you a convicted felon? Have you been disfellowshipped or excommunicated? List every calling you have had dating back to the flood.)
And then silence. We heard nothing for over six weeks. Our glorified extra hopes evaporated. But we were okay with that, because we only ever expected the back of Sam's head to be in the movie, anyway. Being an extra would still be really fun.
Then, on July 6th, we received this email:
RE: Official BOOKING for Samuel Ricks
Please REPLY with your ACCEPTANCE (or rejection) as soon as possible.
Dear Samuel,Thank you for your patience with our casting process. You have been approved by our ecclesiastical authorities to participate in this production! We would like to offer you the role of “John, son of Zebedee (Apostle)” in our New Testament project for the LDS Church.
According to the current schedule, we will need you to work 27 days on this production. [Lots of information on dates, meals]
Thank you, again! We look forward to working with you on this production. Please feel free to call or e-mail with any questions or concerns.
Sincerely,
Alisa AngleseyThe Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day SaintsMedia Services Department CastingLDS Motion Picture Studio, Provo, Utah US
WHOA.
We don't know if he has any speaking parts, but he'll definitely be there for most of the major events. The Mount of Transfiguration, Gethsemane, the resurrection. He will film during August, September, and October.
I am speechless. (Figuratively, of course. Obviously not literally, as this post has 760 words.) This is nuts.

42 comments:
Wow! That is AWESOME!! Congratulations!
Very exciting!!! Congratulations Sam. Are you ready for 16 hour days?? :o) It'll be a blast.
That is so exciting! Congrats, Sam. I can't wait to see the film :)
This is totally amazing! Now I can brag to everyone that I know, that I know someone famous! Congrats Sam!!!
So awesome!! :)
Wow that is so cool! I am really excited to see it now. Although I'll probably have to keep telling myself I'm watching Sam because he looks so different.
oh my goodness!!! HOW COOL IS THAT??? I love it!! COngrats, Sam...can't wait to see it!!! What an experience...seriously.
That is so incredibly cool! I was way excited when Joseph told me. SERIOUSLY awesome!!! I wonder if I will ever be able to actually focus on the movies without watching Sam the whole time wondering what he was thinking during the filming haha
That's way cool! I'm glad all the beard growing came to something cool. Plus, he got casted to do an awesome part. If he had been casted as Judas, how would you have felt:)
Wow, so cool!!!
Caroline - JUDAS!! Ha, ha! Leave it to you to think of something like that. Hilarious!
That's awesome! Can't wait to see the movie.
WOW, this is crazy!! What a cool opportunity. Excited to read more about this adventure. Give him a pat on the back from us here in Brazil.
Amazing!!! Congratulations Samuel! Way to go. I knew when you were the star role in "This is a Test" that you'd go far! :) Can't wait to see your film debut.
That is so cool! Can't wait to see it! Now I know a couple authors and an actor! You just upped my bragging rights.
Talk about a looooong, drawn out casting process!!! Wow, they better have given you something good to have lead you along for that long.
That's really cool though....Sam will be famous, well sort of. Except that no one will recognize him as the guy who played John, when he shaves off his beard. (He is planning on shaving sometime, right?)
By the way. I miss you guys so much it hurts.
Loved your post! Congrats, Sam!
Krishele - First, I thought the same thing. The whole ward could watch the movie with Sam sitting in the room, and no one would know it's him! (And yes, he'll shave as soon as the shoot is over. I'm not sure if I feel really sad or really happy about that.) Second, I FEEL THE SAME. Actually, just yesterday I was thinking how much I want you in my ward. I'm getting to the point where if we could only decide to live in the same state, I'd seriously purposely buy a house right by you.
Ok This is such a great story I am so excited to see the movie now knowing that I know one of the actors in it. Now I wish it was already out because I would find some excuse to show it to my gospel doctrine class.-Debbie Walter
Cool! What a fun and amazing experience. I love your 795 words!
That is so exciting! Way to go with the beard, it looks great!
Holy cow! That is AWESOME! Go, Sam!!!
John applied for an extra (I too look like a Viking attacking Jerusalem). But he has no theatrical experience and when he told me about his audition blunders, I couldn't stop laughing. He couldn't even read lines.
So like...very congrats! This is going to be uber exciting to watch!
Wwwoooooowwww! That totally rocks! hahahaha! Sweeeet! I can't wait to see the movie and you'll have to let us know how his filming goes. What a cool experience!
That is so cool! Not only is he in a movie but it is a church movie about Christ. What an honor!
I just love how you write janae. I just laughed and laughed. Callings back to the flood and a loss for words... So funny.
Holy cow! That's insane! John?! Guess I shouldn't have dissed that awful beard of his! Haha, that's awesome! Way to go Sam! Can't wait to watch it!
Most ironic statement ever made by Janae...I am speechless. :)
Your posts are so fun to read, you should write a book.
Derek
That's awesome! I can't wait to see the movie. I'm so excited for you guys! Good luck, Sam!
That last comment from Dan was really from me. Just wanted you to know. :)
Congrats Sam! That is awesome!
I KNOW SOMEONE FAMOUS!!!
-Stephen
Holy moly that's so awesome! What an amazing and memorable experience that will be for him! Now I can't wait for that movie to come out so I can tell everyone that I know someone "in the movies". HA!!!
Wowzers! How cool is that?! What a fun thing to show your kids down the road. This kicks home-movies booty!
so great! i'm so excited for him, what a chance of a lifetime. nice job sam! can't wait to see you in the movie!
OOooOOO, we know a movie star! Can't wait to see it!! Break a leg...or maybe something else not attached to you!
Congratulations!! I miss seeing that handsome bearded man at church. I miss you, Janae, coming to the library over, and over, and over :-)
Very cool! Now I can claim in know someone in a church movie whereas it's always my husband who knows someone since he went to BYU and grew up in Provo.
Kori - Ironically, I know your husband from BYU. (Did I tell you that last December when we picnicked? Now that I'm writing this, I think I did.) I never knew his name, but I saw him all the time, so he was my campus friend. :)
We are SOOO buying that one when it comes to dvd.
WHA-!?!?!?!?!!?
ALL CAPS DOESN'T CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT!!!! THAT IS SO FREAKING AWESOME!!!
Post a Comment