
One of my favorite things about Sam is that he and I are the same age. (Actually he is 3 months, 2 weeks, and 4 days older than I am, but who's counting?) We did practically everything in our lives at the exact same time. We started kindergarten together. We both moved around 3rd grade (him just before, me just after) and settled into the houses that our parents still live in. We graduated from high school together and both went to the dorms at BYU. We even served our missions at the same time. (He was delayed with health problems and I went early because my parents were mission presidents.) In fact, Sam left his mission in Chile only three weeks before I arrived there after my mission.
But I think my favorite thing about being the same age is that I can make random comments like these:
- Remember when the Berlin Wall fell during 2nd grade? I was so confused - what's the big deal? It's just a wall! If it falls down, why don't you fix it?!
- Remember when Toy Story came out the summer before 8th grade? I actually made a coordinate graph of one of the little aliens for my geometry class. Yeah, I was super cool like that.
- Remember how big Tubthumping was during 10th grade? It was practically the unofficial theme of our Youth Conference that year. I'm not sure if that makes us really awesome or really lame.
- Remember how big the Bush v Gore fight was during our freshman year at BYU? It took me the longest time to figure out what "hanging chads" were. Apparently I was super dumb.
- Remember how people would scream at Americans because of the Iraqi invasion while we were on our missions? I'd always just tell them I was Canadian, and then they'd apologize profusely. People really like Canadians. They never get involved in anything. (That is a good thing, all my fellow Canucks.)

13 comments:
Okay. You have a better memory than me. I'm thinking, "oh, so that must have happened when I was (fill in the age/grade)." And then I think, "really?"
Like Toy Story. That came out when you were in 8th grade and I was in 10th? I thought I was in college by then. Crazy.
And...I had to look up Tubthumping. I had no idea what you were talking about. Then I realized it was a song. And had to look it up on playlist.com. I had no idea that song was called Tubthumping. Weird.
And I don't really remember the Bush/Gore fight. Well, a little. But I was newly married. What do you expect?? :)
John and I are the same age as well. He's actually 5 months and 14 days older but we were the same year in school and have a lot of the same memories growing up also. Fun stuff.
Cara - you don't remember Bush and Gore?? Seriously? Yeah, it must be because you were a newlywed. I was a single not-interested-in-the-news student, and I still heard all about it. :)
How fun to be able to remember the same things. My Hubby was a senior when I was a freshman. It makes quite a difference in the popular things we remember.
Tubthumping was the theme for your Youth Conference...this song includes the lyrics "He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink, He drinks a Lager drink" and also the lyric "pissing the night away" which in the UK essentially means getting drunk all night. That must have been an interesting Youth Conference.
Derek
isn't tubthumping a song that's pretty much about drinking? Oh, the things us mormon kids do to feel all rebellious and stuff.
...and why DO they call them "chads" anyway? kind of a random name for it.
Oh and I love that picture of you and Sam. Is that one that Hailey took? the colors are fantastic....the subjects don't look too bad either. ;)
Derek - Now that you say that, I vaguely remember thinking that song wasn't very uplifting. I definitely had no clue what that song was saying except for the "I get knocked down, but I get up again, you ain't never gonna keep me down" part. Although now I'm wondering what that means ...
Ironically, that was the youth conference we did at BYU. Haha. Sometimes I wonder what on earth our leaders were thinking!
Hey Krishele, you must be online because your second comment wasn't there when I just wrote mine. Hello! :) Um, yes, that that's one of the pics Haylie took. I have a love-hate relationship with that pic. My eyebrows look bushy, my eyes are all squinty, and my face is shiny. Plus, it's a stark reminder that I'll always have white/pink skin compared to Sam's beautiful skin tone. Other than that, I really like it. ;)
Ah, Chumbawamba. I remember one of my teachers trying to tell me the "I Get Knocked Down" song was about perseverance. I don't think they listened very closely to the lyrics.
More memories: He-Man, Reebok Pumps, Today's Special, and pogs.
I totally agree! Matt and I are the same age too. I love that we experienced things at the same time, and I really love how we went to high school together, so we have all the same friends, and he knows who I am talking about if I say so-and-so from senior year. Yeah, it pretty much rocks!
Dang it. My husband and I are three years apart.
I think I'm jealous.
Post a Comment