Okay. I'm freaking out. My 10 year high school reunion is this weekend. I've been trying not to think about it. I don't know why I'm going. Quite frankly, it's making me sick.
You know how when you go back home and see your siblings, you all kind of revert back to your childhood selves? Or how when you see an ex-boyfriend after years and years you still get a sick feeling in your stomach? Apparently thinking about high school makes me revert back to my paranoid, self-conscious self. I wasn't shy, but I worried all the time about what people thought of me (a pretty typical teenage emotion). The thought of being rejected was petrifying. I just knew that if I showed any sign of weakness or imperfection, everyone would hate me. For example:
- In the very beginning of 8th grade I discovered that I hated my legs. So from then on - for the next five years of middle school and high school - I never once wore shorts to school. NEVER. Because if people knew I had ugly legs, they would hate me.
- During my junior year I saw an episode of Dharma and Greg where she wore capris. I had never seen capris before and I loved them. I searched and searched the stores until I found a pair. But capris weren't popular yet--they wouldn't be for another two years--and no one in my school wore them. (Seriously, no one. I watched meticulously.) So I never wore them to school. I was too scared to wear anything that might draw attention to itself. Because people might reject me if I wore the wrong thing.
- I never had groups of friends over during high school. Maybe one or two at a time under the guise of a "study group," but never big groups and never parties. My logic went like this: if I invite people and no one comes, that will mean that everyone hates me. And I was so anxious about being hated that I never dared invite people over. In fact, the only get-together that I ever helped initiate was a 17th birthday party, and the only reason I did was because one of my best friends had her birthday two days before mine and she insisted we have a party together. I figured if no one showed, that meant they hated her too, and at least we'd have each other. (As it turned out, we had nearly 100 people come. But I figured it was because they liked her. I wasn't so sure how they felt about me.)
But now I'm back to the beginning. I'm facing high school all over again. And I'm freaking out.
I'm not bringing my kids, but what if people ask me about them? Should I bring a picture? Or would that be uncool/annoying? What if I don't remember people's names? And what if I'm not thin enough? I kept thinking about exercising before this. All spring and all summer. But whenever I thought about it too much, I'd find myself at Costco buying 36-packs of chocolate mousse cups. Heaven sakes, I know I look fine, but this reverting to paranoia thing is killing me!
Okay, so here's the question: What should I wear?
- Invisible outfit. It won't draw attention to itself, so I can spend my time spying on people as a fly on the wall.
- My most anti-high school shirt. I wouldn't have been caught dead in something so eccentric and bright (although that's what I love most about it now). The picture doesn't show the really cool braiding around the neck.
- A happy medium. The shirt is unique, but not bright. I am wearing shorts, though, and that is super rebellious from my high school persona.




21 comments:
2, then 3. Be the best version of who you are now, heaven knows you've gained tons of skills and experience since high school. Oh, and take a picture of your kids. They're too cute to leave at home.
First of all, I loved going to your house in high school. Second, all the reasons you are dreading the reunion, are the same reasons I am glad I can't go, and lastly, I like the 3rd outfit the best, you look super cute in it.
#3. It's super cute. Plus, it shows off your 'I had three kids and I still look this good' self and your super cute legs. (I always knew you had a thing with you legs, but I never understood it.)
I wish I were going to the reunion. I hope you have a great time. Blog about it when it's over.
I like #3. And your reasoning helped me remember why I totally didn't even think twice about NOT going to my 10 year reunion. (It helped that I lived across the country from where it was taking place, but still...)
Okay. I know what you mean about reverting back to high school paranoia. And...I never wore short in high school either. Except on yearbook day because we were going hiking afterward so I thought I should probably wear shorts when it's 90+ degrees and we're hiking. But I was so self-conscious about it I still remember the incident (and that's saying a lot!) Ugly legs will do that to you. Thank goodness for capris now! :) And personally, I like all 3 outfits. What ever you want to do. :)
I also vote #3. And you make me laugh! I was always so concerned what people thought of me too, but I'm glad that you thought I was brave and didn't care. At least I made people think that I didn't care! Love ya!
#3 is my favorite then #2- way cute shoes. You have cute legs! I still care too much about what people think. I think it will be fun to see some people you haven't seen in a long time. I bet everyone thought you were so fun and nice- it was all in your head.
I think #3 is the cutest on you. And good luck, Janae. Don't be paranoid. You're too cool to worry about this. :)
I'm going with the crowd on #3. (I wouldn't want you looking rediculous when we show up together...what would people think about ME???) te he he. You know, I'm sure I cared what people thought, but my tendencies toward being obnoxious won over. I mean, I'd wear heart pajama pants to school on a regular basis!
Anyone who heads off to a class reunion and says that they haven't thought one bit about what others will think about them is lying. I must say, though, that I'm not feeling the kind of anxiety that you're describing, but I do want to look good (doesn't everyone?)
I do plan on bringing pictures of my kids cause I want to show them off...even if it is dorky or "so last decade" or something. (and no they won't be loaded onto my phone...they will be real, live, ink and paper pictures) I'll bring my yearbooks so we can study before hand and quiet your fears about forgetting names.
And, girl, you don't even NEED to exercise. You look hot! :)
Janae, this is hilarious. I like outfit number 3 best. We are off to Stan's reunion in a few minutes, that is why this is extra funny. Just tell Sam to look nice, because I figure a lot of the reunion is showing off who you married. Thus I'm currently wearing contacts, took extra time for my hair...not that Stan told me to, but the better I look the better he will :)
Wear number 2, Janae. It's really cute!
The shirt on 2 is really cute, but the outfit is best on 3.
I like the third one! (and by the way, you've got great legs! ;)
Totally #3! Very cool, but not too cool. haha! j/k I love the colors and I think the white shorts make your legs look great!
I like number 3 best. You make everything look good though.
Number 3!!
I cannot wait to read the follow-up post to this one...
Okay, I seriously can't make an informed decision...I can't see the shoes! What do the shoes look like??
Besides that, I think #3 looks the best - with those long legs (so not fair by the way) you totally rock it. But I would like to see the #2 shirt better.
p.s. you're totally funny about the paranoia (and so is cara - what is it with you guys and shorts?? if i had super long legs, i'd totally wear the super cute shorts)
#3...totally #3 - it's cute, current and looks great on you. I'm so in love with the shirt.
I like the other two outfits as well but 3 is by far my favorite.
I VOTE #2!!!!!
OR
#2 shirt with #3 shorts... maybe. But I really like outfit #2
Definitely #3.You look darling. Good luck!! And you know we all want the post-party scoop.
I have no idea what outfit to wear but you are a brave soul to go to your high school reunion... I will never be caught dead at mine! Good luck!
-Stephen
Post a Comment