I've always known that I should teach my kids Spanish. I really should.
See, when I was seven months old my family moved to Latin America. We spent two years in the Dominican Republic, five years in Puerto Rico, and then another two in Ecuador. My first words were in Spanish. I learned to read in Spanish before I learned to read in English. I even went to elementary school in Spanish. But then, when I was 9, we moved back to the United States. And for the next eight years I refused to speak it. At all. It's amazing how quickly you can lose a language when you don't use it for years. Especially when you learned as a child.
Places I've lived in Latin America
When I turned 17 my dad decided to revive my Spanish by sending me to Bolivia for my senior year of high school. When I arrived there I couldn't speak a lick. Well, except a few key phrases, intended to keep me from dying: "no entiendo," "quiero comer," and "donde esta el bano." (Which translate to: "I don't understand," I want to eat," and "where is the bathroom.")
Luckily, it's easier to learn a language the second time around - when I left Bolivia months later, I had completely recovered my Spanish. I even studied upper-division Spanish at BYU. My ability to speak was momentarily derailed during my Portuguese-speaking mission, but I got back on track by living in Chile for a few months and by teaching Spanish at the MTC.
Luckily, it's easier to learn a language the second time around - when I left Bolivia months later, I had completely recovered my Spanish. I even studied upper-division Spanish at BYU. My ability to speak was momentarily derailed during my Portuguese-speaking mission, but I got back on track by living in Chile for a few months and by teaching Spanish at the MTC.
My parents' home in Santiago, Chile.
Then I married Samuel. He speaks Spanish, too. We are practically morally bound to teach it to our kids! But it's HARD. We actually went through phase where we spoke Spanish at home and went to a Spanish Branch for church. But Seara was only 6 months old, and she obviously wasn't picking anything up, so we quit.
I keep making lists of the pros and cons of speaking Spanish to my kids, but they always look like this:
But in the last few weeks Seara has suddenly showed a marked interest in Spanish. She keeps asking how to say things and she insists on praying in Spanish. I tried speaking Spanish to the kids for a few mornings and she immediately started calling Elijah "Elias" and Enoch "Enoque". Then, the other night, she woke up from a nightmare calling, "Mamá! Mamá!" and I knew.
It's time to take the plunge. I'm speaking Spanish to my kids.
I keep making lists of the pros and cons of speaking Spanish to my kids, but they always look like this:
CONS9-1. Cons always win.
it will be hard
my accent is not perfect right now
it will be hard
my grammar could be better
it will be hard
my vocabulary could be broader
it will be hard
I can't express myself as easily in Spanish
it will be hard
PROS
My kids will speak Spanish!!
But in the last few weeks Seara has suddenly showed a marked interest in Spanish. She keeps asking how to say things and she insists on praying in Spanish. I tried speaking Spanish to the kids for a few mornings and she immediately started calling Elijah "Elias" and Enoch "Enoque". Then, the other night, she woke up from a nightmare calling, "Mamá! Mamá!" and I knew.
It's time to take the plunge. I'm speaking Spanish to my kids.


22 comments:
Can't wait to hear more about this!! My Spanish was permanently derailed after Portugal...now I'm torn about which language to focus on--so far I've kept up Portuguese pretty well but I know Spanish would be more helpful for my family...bAH!
YOU WILL DO GREAT.
:)
You could always let them watch Dora the Explorer and see how they take it:) PLUS, I felt the same way with the donde esta el bano thing. Always got to know that. The thing is, if that was my only Spanish (which it was), I would NOT be able to understand the directions given. So, make sure to teach them derecho (i think) and izguierda as well.
You're so good. I've wanted to start it for awhile with our kids too but I'm a slacker. Maybe your motivation will finally put me in motion. Let me know how it goes and what works and what doesn't. Good luck!
isn't that what dora and handy manny are for?
Good for you! With your whole fam speaking spanish it'll be fun for all! Like your own "secret" language.
I've kinda taken the whole "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach to teaching my kids spanish, too. I decided that it'll give them a huge edge some day in the job market.
There is an awesome book called "The Bilingual Edge". My cousin is in the same situation as you with teaching her children to speak additional languages. (She is teaching hers) She taught spanish at BYU for several years and is now teaching at a university in chicago. One of her main studies is the acquisition of language, its benefits and consequeces. This book may be a really great resource for you to find ways to incorporate learning and retention for your children.
It may or may not be hard, but it will benefit your family as well as others. Good luck and I wish you success and much hapiness in the journey. :)
Wow, that is so awesome! Super hard, for sure. But amazing of Seara to show that kind of initiative. She sounds like her mom :)
This is going to be CRAZY! But good, of course. (Luckily, I'm going to be the English-speaking parent. Right?)
It's the biggest favor you could do for your kids! I only have 2 years of French and teach Tommy the sign language alphabet. I'd like to teach him a little French (wishing I had taken German instead), but Erik doesn't speak any other languages, so it would be hard to keep at it.
I say go for it! Especially since you both speak it.
good for you! I've been trying to convince myself to learn Spanish for years. I know a little (you know, 8th and 9th grade) and since Jason served in Mexico, he can speak spanish. Too bad we don't live closer or I'd just hang out at your house all day and learn it along with your kids. :)
That's so awesome! Good luck! I know Matt wishes I spoke Latvian so I could help him teach our kids!
Lo voy a creer cuando tus hijos me hablan en castellano.
Tio Derek
Derek - Tambien yo. Eres el mas sano de todos aqui!
Cool! Especially since my son's name is Elias ("Ender" is a nickname)... ;)
I wish we could teach our son to be bilingual (at least), but I guess it can't really happen because I don't know Russian (Michael's), and whenever Michael tries to speak French, he uses a Russian accent (and he's as bad at it as I'm bad at Russian). (And not to be deceptive--I'm not fluent in French even with as much as I knew from years in Belgium and learning in high school and college...really, I'm so rusty). Oh well!
And whoa, Monster Comment! Sorry!
(so what I meant in all that was YEAH you should do it because you CAN! AWESOME!)
Awesome! I would love to do the same thing in our home, but I worry that if I spend all that time doing it, they may never use it or just forget it. I'm excited to see how it goes for you!
Good luck! I wish I knew Spanish myself so I could attempt to do the same with Jackson.
She told me on Sunday that she was afraid of bees and monsters. If only it was so simple;)
Theresa - Bees and monsters, eh? I don't think she hardly knows what bees are. (I mean, she recognizes the cartoons, but I don't know if she'd know the real thing!) And honestly, wouldn't it be great if it were that simple?!
There are Spanish emersion classes in local elementary schools where they learn in Spanish (sometimes you can find other languages also). Usually starting in 2nd grade and continuing through
6th. It just depends on each district.
There are also free spanish games and cartoons online and you can find programs like rosetta stone to help too. Simple things to incorporate and not overwhelm.
A very simple way to start is if you allow them to watch movies at your house, choose the spanish language option.
Again, Have fun and good luck!
Stephanie - Oooh, thanks for the heads up about spanish cartoon online. I know our cable only has Spanish cartoons from 8-12 on Saturdays, so having it on line will be nice. We definitely have figured out which of all our movies have Spanish language options! As for school language immersion, we're planning on doing it. Only in Mandarin. I actually want my kids to be trilingual, and I figured I'd have to start Spanish now to make sure they are solid before starting Chinese. :)
My cousin's name is Elias! :) Good luck! You seriously get a gold star for even thinking to do that!
Post a Comment