Thursday, June 10, 2010

My favorite jeans



A few weeks back I took my sister-in-law, Mary, to Temple Square. I wore my favorite jeans. Because I knew Mary wouldn't care. Let me explain.



My favorite jeans are threadbare. Every edge and joint is roughed up. In these pictures there were two holes in the left knee, but soon after I also got two in the right. They're also missing about three inches of the bottom, back half of each pant leg. You can see that better in this picture:



People stare at my jeans in the grocery store. The doctor can't take his eyes off them when I take the kids in for check ups. Samuel and my mother are both mortified when I wear them. But they're still my favorite jeans. So I. don't. care.

16 comments:

Lissa Nelson said...

Ok Severin. He still wears the pants he was wearing when he got in the motorcycle accident. Complete with 6-8 inch diagonal gash in the lower leg.

janae said...

And I completely support him.

;)

Sam Ricks said...

THE PANTS MUST DIE!!!
(I like your new icon, by the way.)

Sam Ricks said...

We look like kind of an odd couple when you view our pictures together. :)

janae said...

HAHA! We've joked about it before, but wow, the caricatures really tell the story. I'm round and you're angular. :)

Kelli said...

Oh, I bet they're comfortable. I got a hold in my (old) favorite jeans. Unfortunately, it was in the butt, off the pocket, and I couldn't get away with that...

austinamasandra said...

I had a pair like that and Austin's aunt actually bought me a new pair so I could get rid of them but I didn't. After Lidia I couldn't fit in them any more so that was the end of that! :(

janae said...

Sandra - So sad! It's so hard to find really great jeans and it's heartbreaking when they no longer fit!

Kori said...

For me it's about comfort the older I get and the old jeans are way more comfortable. I think it's awesome that you wear them still.

Ruth said...

ha, ha, ha

Mary Catherine Blackburn said...

Heck no I don't mind if you wear those!! :) gotta love em. :) I'm going to be completely honest with you I didn't even notice. As long as you love me for wearing ridiculous things..I don't mind if you wear those jeans. :) (not that they are ridiculous) love you!

Mary Catherine Blackburn said...

Heck no I don't mind if you wear those!! :) gotta love em. :) I'm going to be completely honest with you I didn't even notice. As long as you love me for wearing ridiculous things..I don't mind if you wear those jeans. :) (not that they are ridiculous) love you!

ALYN said...

I can't believe Sam has a death wish for your favorite jeans. Is he like the conservative/proper member of the Ricks family or what? : )

That said my favorite jeans have holes in both knees. But Nathan has occasionally worn a pair of jeans to the point where even I was embarrassed for us all.

Krishele said...

That's one of the biggest tragedies of being a woman. When you're favorite jeans give up the ghost....there is just no replacing them. They always have some new fashion for women and the style that is now thread bare is long gone. Sad. I hate it when my jeans wear out. For that very reason, I purchased two pairs of the exact same jean this last year, so when the one wears out, I have another. Sad, the things women have to do for a little bit of comfort in clothing.

Krishele said...

Oh sorry, I meant "your" not "you're". I know that's a pet peeve of yours. PPPPPLLLLEEEAAASSSEEE forgive me!!!!

Natasha Wheatley said...

I used to have a pair of jeans like that back in college. I *LOVED* them to pieces... literally. They had holes up and down the fronts, the bottoms were missing too (because I'm short and walk on my jeans), and holes in the bum that I just covered in duct tape. I took them home once so my mom could do my laundry, and my mom insisted on folding everything for me and placing them nicely in a basket for me. Little did I know, she ended up throwing them out because she hated them so much!! (I think the duct tape threw her over the edge.) I cried. May your jeans live long and prosper.