Monday, June 14, 2010

Cousins

McKay, Stephanie, Elijah, Skjelse, Linds, Missy
Greg, Rachel, Seara, me
Everyone in the picture came, plus Lissa & Severin, Tyler, Natalie, and Jenna (she is behind the camera).



I have a LOT of cousins. 67 to be exact. And the really crazy thing is, I actually know most of them pretty well. In fact, we have occasional Cousin Reunions for everyone college-age or older. We're just cool like that.

Our most recent reunion was with Smith Cousins. We did it for two days at my parents' cabin in Heber. The highlight, of course, was the pool table. We played several games where everyone was involved, and then losers had to put their face in snow for 10 seconds + your standing. (So 2nd place got 12 seconds, 3rd place 13 seconds, etc.) It was HILARIOUS. Cousins rock.



16 comments:

Cara said...

We have 67 cousins? Wow. And that's super cool that you know most of them pretty well. I, on the other hand, know very few. That's what happens when you live away from Utah area for almost 10 years, while all of the cousins are growing up. Oh well. Yay for you guys! :)

The Pingels said...

That is a lot of cousins! I think I only have around 30, and my mom came from a family of 7 kids. Its so fun to get together with family. Cousins rock!

janae said...

Cara - You didn't know? We actually have less than the Bryce/Carol Bakers. They have 70. Because we have 8 kids and they only have 5, so they have three more cousins we don't have. :)

Gr S said...

Thanks SO MUCH for the picture of the cousins up at Ole'e cabin. It is wonderful!

janae said...

You're welcome, Grandma. I thought you might appreciate this. :)

Lija said...

Hey! Why is Seara in so many pictures?!!

Sease said...

Because I'm a lady! That's why!

Kelli said...

Too bad we don't live a lot closer now that we've finally gotten to know each other a little better. And may I add, HOLY COW! THAT'S SKJELSE??! Are you kidding me?! Oh man, I'm old. These kids are supposed to be 11.

janae said...

Kelli - Seriously, they are supposed to be 11, aren't they?! I completely understand!

denise @ little ant design said...

My kids are only slightly offended that the cousin reunions are college-age or older. Way to pick and choose the cousins Janae.

At least Tyler had the decency to drive all the way down here from Utah to go to Megan's 16th birthday - now thats a good cousin :)

No worries though, I'm here with a shoulder to cry on as my kids, your forgotten cousins, cry themselves to sleep at night.

How do you live with yourself?!?!

denise @ little ant design said...

Cute pictures by the way and I love the face in the snow - I'm all about cruel and unusual punishment.

Qait said...

HAH! I have somewhere between 100 and 200!
But...I don't know them ALL. I'm kind of on the younger end of the big number, so I got left out of the Cool College Age Cousin Parties. ;)
(jk--we're a bunch of very loving cousins)
(but that age thing IS why I don't know them all as well)

janae said...

Qait - more than 100?! Seriously?!! I guess that's possible if your aunts and uncles had lots of kids. My dad comes from 10 kids, but one died as a baby, and the rest of them average 4.5 kids per family (if you exclude us with 8 kids). My mom comes from a family of 7 kids, and they average 6 kids per family. We have the most of any family, actually. So my cousins all have more cousins than I do. Does that make sense?

Krishele said...

So I'm not close really with ANY of my cousins. Pretty sad huh? Neither of my parents have close relationships with their siblings. I've adopted Jason's cousins and they do stuff together all the time. I've made it a point to make sure I get together with mine and Jason's siblings A LOT so my kids don't have to suffer the same fate as I did. Cause, you're right, cousins do rock.

Qait said...

Yeah, maybe there are cousins of cousins in there that I counted who aren't technically MY cousins. Hm. But yeah, we have huge families all around. I'm #6 of 7, Michael's #1 of 7, etc... :)

Melanie said...

I think Seara gets prettier in every picture you post of her.

As for your post, I thought our family was bad, I have 60 cousins. It's a relief to know other 'HUGE' families! :)