Monday, March 29, 2010

My First


If going 5 mph over in a regular zone (what the ticket said) costs $90, I don't even want to know how much going 17 mph over in a construction zone (what I actually did) would cost...

18 comments:

austinamasandra said...

Oh no!!! Dang it! I was just talking to Austin the other day about it, how your heart must just sink when you see those lights behind you flashing.To what he said, just wait until you have your 1st. I'm Soooooooo SORRY!

janae said...

Ha, ha! The worst part is, I didn't even know he was behind me until he put on his sirens. Apparently he followed me for a couple blocks. The kids and I were jamming out to the MoTab (no joke) and didn't notice him at all. Ahh!

Caroline said...

You got pulled over for going over 5 mph!! That cop was totally filling his quota for the month.

janae said...

Caroline - Nah, the cop was being nice. Sort of. The road was 45 mph, and I was going 52 mph. But then I entered a construction zone (double the fine if you're pulled over), which means the speed limit dropped to 35 mph. And WHAM! He got me at 17 mph over. So he was being 'nice' by dropping me to 5 in a non-construction. Although I think nice would have been a warning ...

Cara said...

Okay. First of all, I was really confused about where the "17 mph in a construction zone" came from. But after your last comment (in answer to Caroline), I understand.

And second of all, still hasn't happened to me. I'm not looking forward to it.

By the way, are you sure he didn't give you the 17mph in construction zone fee? Ninety bucks seems crazy for 5 miles over! Maybe he just told you he was giving you a break by calling it something else, but still gave you the same fee.

The Pingels said...

90 isn't too bad. Oregon funds everything from their highway stuff because of no sales tax. Scott got pulled over and it was $175. Boo!!! I'm sorry that you got pulled over. Total bummer!

janae said...

Cara - Oh, I'm absolutely certain. My ticket said 5 over. In HS I had a friend get charge something like $500 for going 10 over in a school zone. They are HARSH. (Although you probably shouldn't speed in a school zone.)

Paige said...

Yikes! I've only been pulled over once and that's all it took to make me a forever law-abiding citizen.

Jolie said...

That stinks! I've gotten them before and as I'm writing out the big fat check I think about all the ways I could have spent that money. ;-(
At least you weren't talking on your cell phone! At least in WA state that would have upped the ticket by $150.

randi said...

ouchy! i guess you can at least be greatful that you are so cute that he lowered it for you. i have turned on the water works in my life a time or two...not trying to get out of it, but because i was so poor and sad about getting a ticket!

Anonymous said...

My first time ever pulled over was last fall. No mercy. $170. (for going 16 over.) I entered the school zone from the side, and thus could not see the flashing light. Had no idea the school zone would still be in effect 1 hour after school started. Cause I was going only 1 over the normal speed limit in that section.

I learned that at least in my state, they can't change the limit by more than 10mph unless it's a school zone or construction zone. So if you don't see the sign, and you're driving what you think is the limit, you'll be only 10 over, not the expensive, dangerous, and on your driving record risk of 15 mph over.

I was mad, because I've saved my pennies, only to waste it on a $170 ticket. But I did get the city traffic engineer to install signs on the side streets into our school zone, and I plea bargined with the court, for a lower offense, 15 mph over, so that I wouldn't get points on my record. They didn't lower the fine of course.

-Alyn

Krishele said...

Tickets are no fun at all. I've been pulled over twice, and ticketed twice, and cried all the way to my destination both times.

Caroline said...

Was construction going on at the time? You could always fight it:)

Sam Ricks said...

Caroline - Not where I was. I should fight it. But I probably won't. :)

Roberta said...

That's nice and all, but can they really ticket for 5 over?? If so, I should be getting one all the time-that's my "upper limit".

wheaties said...

if you were in TX you could expect your fines to double!! No joke! The moving violations down here are RIDICULOUS! One ticket is all it took for me to slow down... cuz $300 a pop starts to add up real quick...

Amanda said...

That is a bummer! I think in my married time to Jason, we have paid close to $1000 in speeding fines!!! No joke. One was down in Moapa NV (which was a major joke!) Anyway, I have resorted to a fuzz buster/radar. And now that school is a whole whopping 5 seconds away from us, we never use it! Ha

I got pulled over on my 20th birthday. That stunk!

Qait said...

The first (and so far only) time I got pulled over, it was when I was telling my friend about how earlier I had been talking to myself with a computer voice pretending to be my own navigation system (saying "Slow down. You are speeding" and I answer myself with an evil cackle and speed more). Why wasn't I caught the first time? That would have made more sense!
But no, in my excitement of retelling the story and going downhill, I sped. Poo.
I was really nice to the cop...he just gave me a warning (phewf!).
And I watch the speedometer like a hawk now!