I was about 15, so my sister Cara must have been 17. She was my chauffeur and best friend. We drove everywhere together, and every time we went down State Street to the Mall, I'd look for it. We'd only ever see it from the street, but every time we drove by I'd stare in awe at the beauty that lay before my eyes. Rolling hills of perfect green grass, small ponds with ducks floating lazily by, hundreds of gorgeously weeping trees, all framed by majestic mountains rising above the idyllic scene. It was perfect.
"I'm having my wedding reception there," I'd tell Cara each time we drove by. "I'm having an outdoor wedding reception in that park."
"It is beautiful," she'd agree, and I'd smile.
Then one day everything changed. We were driving by and, as usual, I was pasted to the window in a dreamy adoration. Suddenly I saw a sign in front of the reception center located on those gorgeous grounds.
"Lake Hills (what a perfect name!) ... Cemetery/Mortuary."
My eyes widened in shock. I sat there in utter disbelief and silence. And then I laughed until I cried.
Friday, January 8, 2010
Dreams of a Fifteen Year-Old
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
I wish I could say that I remembered that. But I'm glad you saw me as your best friend. :) That's pretty awesome. :)
I knew of someone who had their wedding at this really cute mortuary... kind of a weird thing to print in the invitation.
You could always have your funeral there!
lol! awesome!
I bet if you had paid enough, they would have let you still have your reception there =)
You should have totally done it anyway.
Why do they have a duck pond at a mortuary anyway? It's not like people go there to hang out or anything. Or maybe they really do have wedding receptions there.
I know exactly what cemetery you are talking about. Is that Jesus statue still there?
Rachel - Ha, ha! YES, the Jesus statue is still there. Although for the longest time I didn't notice it. It's a dead give-away for being a cemetery. For the record, the place was a lot more beautiful back in the 90's. It's not kept up as nicely now. Too bad!
Hahahahaha!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Isn't that just life for ya?!
I had no idea that you wanted to have your reception there! Good thing you didn't though...weddings at a mortuary, that could be seen as a very bad omen.
I must say though...you had a much better view from where your reception was. It was perfect.
Have to agree with Sam, I'm sorry but what a waste...I know, it nakes it cutier! That was the name of our old ward: Lake Hills...and yes it was perfect (I guess it comes with the name) :)
Post a Comment