Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Years Resolutions

Blog? What is blog? I do not know what that word means. (If you can name the book that is inspired from you'll be my new best friend.)

So I've been conspicuously absent for a while. And unfortunately, I'm not making any resolutions to be better at blogging. (I guess if you think my blog is boring you might be cheering right now. :) But every year since I've had the blog I've reported on my New Years Resolutions, and I hate to break tradition. First, though, Calvin and Hobbes. New Years wouldn't be New Years without 'em ...



2009 Goal Report:
1. Read the Book of Mormon a minimum of 30 minutes every day
PASS. Didn't miss a day all year. I did, however, alter the goal a bit so I could read the Bible, General Conference talks, and such as well, but the idea is the same.

2 .Pray sincerely every morning and every night all year
PASS. I give my self points for sincerity, not quality, cuz MAN there were some mornings when I tried so hard to say good prayers but it all came out as incomprehensible blabberings!

3. Go to the temple every month
PASS. Nuf said.

4. Read the Sunday School lessons before church each week
FAIL. And a miserable fail at that. I'm trying to remember if I ever did this. I don't think I did it once. Ever. Oops.


2010 Goals:
  1. Catch up on my Conference mini-goals
  2. Write down more of my spiritual experiences
  3. Read the Sunday School and Relief Society lessons before church each week (I've made this goal every year since I got married and have yet to do it. Here's for try number five!)
  4. Be a more patient, gentle, and kind mother (can my goal be any more vague?!)
  5. Criticize less and compliment more
  6. 30 minutes of scriptures a day
  7. [too private to share - ya didn't think I had those kinds of things, did ya?!]
  8. No swearing. Ever. Period. (Okay, so now you know the truth. I've been known to say some Biblical swear words when I'm angry. But not any more, dash it all!)
  9. Read my Patriarchal Blessing every Fast Sunday
  10. Improve my posture*

*Here's the problem: my partner hunch back has decided to fix his posture. I have begged and pleaded for him to not do it because I have no intention of fixing my own, but he has insisted. We looked fine together when we both slouched. Unfortunately, we can no longer pull off the cute couple in their 90's look if Sam doesn't slouch with me. I just look like I'm his pet monkey. So I'm thinking about fixing my posture. I put it on my list for two reasons, first, in case I decide I actually want to do it, and second, because ten is a rounder number than nine, so I had to have ten goals.

15 comments:

katieo said...

#3, 2009. so awesome! Working on that for 2010.

I love your resolution reports.

now I'm racking my brain about your first sentence, it is so familiar...

Cara said...

I can't think of where the quote comes from either...but I totally recognize it.

You really caught me off guard on that little additional paragraph explaining #10. I laughed really hard but forgot to open my mouth so it came out my nose. :) Too much information you say? Sorry! It just really, really made me laugh. And I thought you should know that. :)

Good work with all of your goals. You are great. :) Glad you are my sis. :)

BrookieT said...

Good job on achieving those goals. I am very impressed. AND you moved across the country and still accomplished them. It must feel so empowering. You have given me some additional goals for this year. Thank you!

Sam Ricks said...

Dearest Esmerelda,

I'm glad you're thinking about the posture thing. But I seriously don't think you need it as badly as I do.

In other news, I'm amazed at your resolve to accomplish your goals. I married such an awesome woman!

I like how you put "dash it all" after the Biblical swear words part. Just added to the awesomeness of that goal.

Sincerely,

Quasimodo

Kelli said...

Aw, Calvin and Hobbes. How I've missed those snowmen comics. You know, maybe it's a bad thing that I never make any resolutions. I never do because I just figure they'll never happen, so better than to disappoint myself. But perhaps this year will be the year!

Babydoll said...

You really did great last year. Nice work. I love the mommy goal. That is my goal every morning when I wake up. Sometimes the 122nd "mommy, mommy, mommy" makes it hard to keep that goal. Good luck this year.

janae said...

Quasimodo-

Who is this Esmerelda you seem so fond of??!

Quasimoda

Melanie said...

So in reference to Calvin and Hobbs, we bought Jackson a "big orange man" (actually he's they guy from the Dr. Seuss' Foot Book). My mom started calling him Jackson's Hobbs. I thought it was funny and I thought of you. :)

austinamasandra said...

You 2 are too much fun. I love that you post your resolutions in order to make you more accountable. We have alot of the same ones. I pray that we can do it. I need to improve. Lately i have been so disapointed with myself!

Good luck menina. :)

Krishele said...

I'm impressed by how many 2009 goals you passed! Way to go. I don't think I even made any resolutions last year. I need to stop and think a little more on these things. This year, I'm earning my Young Womanhood award...that I never managed to finish as a teen (I wonder why...) Anyway, I figure that encompasses a whole truck load of goals and projects to keep me busy for the year. Doncha think?

janae said...

Krishele - Most definitely! I did my Young Womanhood Recognition last year (I got it as a YW, but wanted to do it again with the girls I served with) and it definitely kept me on my toes! Unfortunately, I was released a couple months before my year mark in YW so I never got it. Too bad!

janae said...

"Got it" as in received the necklace. I did all the goals, the only thing I was short on was time served in YW. Did that make sense?

austinamasandra said...

let this be an example to y'all" never drink and post!" :O)

Aubrey said...

Janae, you are inspiring! Good luck with this year's goals, but I have to admit, I can't imagine you swearing, ever. ;-)

Sharalea said...

I'm always amazed with your goals & your accomplishing of them! Thanks for being a shining star! ALSO thanks for sending the Family Armor DVD--I had forgotten all about that little discussion, you are so thoughtful!! THANK YOU!