When Sam and I were newlyweds we lived on BYU campus in a complex called Wyview. Almost every Sunday we'd invite a different couple over for dinner, and from those dinners we met some of our dearest friends. Amidst the social success, however, we also had one huge faux pas.
We had invited over a couple who was new in the neighborhood. Things went smoothly during dinner, and once the meal was done, we sat back and chatted over empty dishes. But soon Sam began to worry that the couple was ready to go home and they were only staying because we kept perpetuating the conversation. He wanted to assure them that we were very much enjoying their company, but they could excuse themselves at any time if they needed to go home. So he waited for a lull in conversation, and blurted out,
"Don't you hate when people overstay their welcome?"
[Awkward silence.] Her eyes widened and jaw dropped. His face contorted somewhere between confusion and offense. Sam and I quickly tried to backpedal. But there was no recovery. They went home. And we vacillated between feeling terrible and laughing ourselves silly.


18 comments:
My kingdom for the conversationalist gene!
That's pretty darn funny. Talk about putting your foot in your mouth. :) Been there, done that, unfortunately.
lol that is awesome...so i dont know why the video is just black for you...it is up on youtube...type in "getting ready to play in the snow..." and i think we are like the 4th or 5th video down...you'll like it...it is very entertaining!
hee hee. I remember that:)
Hahahaha! I read this post to Erik and we both had a good laugh. We've both said things that we kicked ourselves for later. That poor couple! And poor you guys too! How could you ever redeem yourselves after that? haha!
After years of near-daily "foot in my mouth" moments, I have come to believe that feet taste good.
Having said that, Sam's example may be one of the best I've ever heard.
Awesome.
Lol!!! HAA HAA HAAA
Sam that was awesome!
Seriously? That was great! Thanks for giving me a laugh. I soooo miss you guys.
Boy I can't tell you how many times I've thought that, but to say it out loud?! Nice one Sam. Hahaha!
That is so funny!
And pretty awkward. . .
That is the best story ever! Thanks for a good laugh!!
Ooooh, man. That's the best. Or should I say worst?
BWAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHA!
Are you still friends?
Becky - Well, we invited them to several couple things after that, but moved a couple months later. We hadn't heard from them for about three years, but a couple months ago she found my blog, so now we periodically blog stalk each other.
Sometimes IT IS hard to tell if someone is happy to stay chatting, or if they'd rather go home...
Tricky stuff. I say let them suffer with your presence, if they can't figure out how to extract themselves from the situation.
Funny stuff.
Okay, I was really behind on my blog-reading...but I finally got caught up. I loved your December 16th post where you talked about when you and Sam "discuss" things, it means that you talk and he listens.
That is SO Jacob and me! It used to bug me that he wouldn't talk to me in the car. Now, I'm used to it. I talk. He listens. And every once in a while, I get a grunt out of him. :-D
I wondered why you guys moved away... We overstayed our welcome!
HAHAHAH that's AWFUL! And hilarious.
The first time we invited a couple to dinner, I asked them from the kitchen to turn the fan off so it wouldn't cool the food.
The fan crashed onto the table, broke a glass and plate, shattered everywhere....
and my husband and I thought it was so funny! We couldn't help but laugh! But they were horrified! It was so awkward after that. We really tried to lighten things up. I seriously didn't care about the dishes, and we cleaned it all up, but they just never recovered.
Post a Comment