Wednesday, November 18, 2009

the day he was born



November 7, 2006

We move into our new house in Spanish Fork! I am due on November 30th, so we rush to get the house unpacked and settled as quickly as possible. The goal: have it all done before my in-laws come for Thanksgiving and before the baby is born.

November 14, 2006
I am done with all the unpacking and organizing. The house is clean and the only thing left to do is vacuum the whole thing.

November 15, 2006
Sam has a paper due at 5:00 pm. He is pretty stressed from going to school full time (I think he had 15 credits, plus a 3 credit independent study class) and working full time (45+ hours a week) ... and then moving into a new home and having a super pregnant wife on top of all that. He is sleeping 3-4 hours a night. He announces to me that morning that it would be really convenient if I had the baby that day because there is no way he is going to get his paper done in time. I laugh. Not happening.

10:30 am
I am putting Seara down for a nap and I start getting contractions. I'm sure they're not real, so I take a long bath. Just cuz I'm bored. I call my mom and she asks how far apart the contractions are. I have no clue, I hadn't really paid attention. Hmmm ... three minutes. My mom very anxiously demands that I immediately head for the hospital. Instead, I paint my toe nails and get all beautiful. (I've had a baby before. These things take time. I was in no rush.) Finally I decide to announce to Sam that I think I'm in labor. He whoops in joy and calls his professor to tell him that there won't be a paper today.

2:30 pm
I get to the hospital and tell them I'm in labor. They practically roll their eyes. Until they check how dilated I am and announce that I am almost 7 cm. Woohoo, all that exercising during my pregnancy paid off! With Seara my body went into shock and started compulsively vomiting with every contraction - when I was barely at 3 cm. This is a billion times better. My midwife stays by my side the whole time, massaging my feet and preparing me for delivery. Love her.

3:30 pm
The midwife is having a hard time figuring out how dilated I am because every time she checks Elijah grabs her finger. Apparently he is coming out superman style - right arm first. My water hasn't broken and they're afraid that when it does his shoulder will get lodged. They prepare me for a c-section and refuse to give me an epidural because I might end up needing a spinal tap (for the c). I'm 9 cm and not happy.

4:30 pm
The attending obstetrician comes in. They give me an epidural (thank you, thank you, thank you!) and the obstetrician proceeds to poke a hole in my water sack, stick his arm inside, and push Elijah's arm back. Three nurses are pushing with all their might on my stomach to try to push Elijah's head in place. Uncomfortable doesn't even begin to describe how much I love that. But the good news is: it works! The obstetrician leaves and my midwife is back in control.

4:55 pm
Five minutes before Sam's paper is due my beautiful boy comes into the world. 6lbs, 15 oz. We name him Samuel Elijah Ricks. Two weeks later we decide to change it to Elijah Samuel Ricks and we bless him with that name at church. A month later I decided to go back to Samuel Elijah. Over the next three years I debate continually about which it should be. I think I've just now decided to stick with Samuel Elijah. But don't hold me to it. I reserve the right to change his name at any time.
_____________________________________________

I started my blog a month after Elijah was born, so I never wrote about his birth story here. I can't believe it has been three years since then!! If you can't tell from the pictures, Elijah is only a tad bit excited about his birthday. ;) Thanks to my mom I had a wonderful realization: why am I the one decorating birthday cakes when I am married to an artist?! I've officially bowed out of that position for the rest of my life!


Happy 3rd Birthday sweet boy!

20 comments:

Natalie said...

cutest pictures ever! happy birthday elijah!

Cara said...

Oh he is so cute! That was a very good point about the cake decorating. Why did it take so long to figure that one out? Right when you said it I realized you were right, but I hadn't even thought of that before!

His birth story is crazy. There were plenty of details I never heard before. That is all pretty crazy. All I remember is that I was supposed to be there for the birth and I was excited for it. Then he came super early so I missed it! What a punk! :)

Megan said...

Happy Birthday, Elijah! Good idea relinquishing the birthday cake decorating.

Rebecca said...

Oh Janae! That last picture is sooo precious!

Sam Ricks said...

Thank you, Lije, for saving my college career!

That cake decorating stuff is really difficult! Who knew?

Sam Ricks said...

And I loved all the details about Elijah's birth. A gift for future generations.

Babydoll said...

Nice timing with the paper and all! Happy birthday to Elijah!

Lissa Nelson said...

Yeah, being a Home Ec major and having actually learned some about cake decorating, I will never get out of that task! :) Those pictures are absolutely precious. What a sweet boy.

Sharalea said...

Loved the birth story (I am so fascinated with them now that I have my own...don't remember caring as much before--), the little hand is just so cute to imagine (but crazy!!)--You are such a trooper (and so cute--painting your nails! I did that too after my water broke! No need to have ugly toenails for that hospital stay!), And Elijah is so handsome!

Well done on the cake, Sam! You're a pro already!!

janae said...

Shara - I'm the same way! I didn't seem to care much about birth stories before I had kids, but now I find them completely fascinating!

Mindy said...

I love birth stories (don't know why), so thanks for sharing. I love that last pic of Seara and Elijah!

Btw, I cannot believe he's 3!

Roberta said...

I love birth stories too, and yours are extra exciting! Lots of close calls and rushing, apparently!

I was the same way about exercising with my first and then my second. With my first, I looked awful and felt awful, and the second was mostly a breeze. I will definitely increase the exercising with #3!

austinamasandra said...

Yes, why where you decorating the birthday cakes when you married an artist!?

Loved the story, loved the cake!

Kristine said...

What a cutie! Happy Birthday E!

Krishele said...

I'm SO glad you had a midwife that actually DID something for you instead of making things worse...like mine did. GRRRRRR.

Three nurses, huh? Sounds intense. But I'm glad all ended up well.

Kudos for your mom on bringing the cake decorating thing to your attention. I bet that's nice. I think Jason's idea of decorating a cake would be to ice it and put toys on top...maybe that's giving him too much credit. :)

Ruth said...

beautiful boy!

ALYN said...

Is that your first cake, Sam? Quite impressive. frosting is a whole new medium. And yet another one that I'm not good at!

Janae said...

Alyn - This was his very first time doing a cake. He was actually surprised at how hard icing was to work with! But I think it turned out great - much better than I expected!

Jodi said...

The cake looks great! Happy birthday to Elijah.
Now that James' sister lives in the area I plan to never again decorate a cake. She's a professional!

Davis Smith said...

I LOVE those pictures!!! Elijah is such a cutie!