I was 8 months pregnant with Enoch when we moved to Maryland. One of the first things I noticed there was that the grocery store had 'Expecting Mother' parking spots right up front ... and they were always empty. In fact, outside of church, I think I only ever saw ONE pregnant woman.
Then we moved back to Utah. Suddenly it seemed like every third person I saw was pregnant. Every neighborhood had at least 10 women who were expecting. I joked that it must be in the water ... but until recently I didn't realize how right I was.
See, we got a family zoo pass for the kids a couple months ago. And, I swear, there is a "New Baby!" birth announcement at every third exhibit. So today I looked it up. In just six months this year the Hogle Zoo welcomed ...
1 Elephant,
3 Black-tailed Prairie Dogs,
1 Snow Leopard,
1 Siamese Crocodile,
1 Howler Monkey,
1 African Black-footed Cat,
6 Meerkats,
1 Giraffe,
2 Golden Lion Tamarins (twins),
1 Columbus Monkey, and
3 Amur Tigers.
That's twenty-one new babies. In six months.
Yup. It's gotta be the water.
Friday, November 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













15 comments:
So...does that mean you are drinking the water, or opting for bottled water at the moment? :) Those pictures are so priceless! Baby animals are so cute!
Yeah are we supposed to assume something based on this post? I think as far as the humans go it has more to do with Mormon culture. I don't know what the animals deal it- maybe it is the water or maybe they've converted. Baby animals are so sweet!
Cara & Erin - I should have assumed that that would be the logical question. NO. Do not assume anything. YES. I do go for bottled water right now. (Currently non-existent) baby #4 will easily be our most expensive - they will require the purchase of a mini-van. We're definitely doing fine, but not 20K extra fine! (That said, I'm completely baby hungry. I'm just trying really hard to be patient.)
Haha! How funny!
I've noticed that kind of thing...
I felt more normal being pregnant in BYU-Idaho since it is so common (though I wasn't really showing then) but now when I go to stores here, I feel kind of strange... and since I look young, I always worry that people think I'm just a pregnant teen walking around (esp since my ring doesn't fit me anymore)!
Steph - Ha, ha! I had the same problem with my ring and I swear people always stared at me as if I were some single teenager!
Hey, we need your address for our Christmas cards. Could you please email us your address?
johnboysteve@yahoo.com
Thanks!
PS. Cute Halloween costumes!
I love all those babies, but I was a little disappointed at the end, because I thought just maybe you were going to be announcing something . . . but alas, no, but that's probably a good thing, right? Love the pics!
AW! The baby animals! Love the pics and that you looked it all up! Our ward has about 4 or 5 coming up...
You r HILARIOUS!!!!!
I know, mormons and rabbits have a lot in common. HA HA.
I was waiting for the announcement... it was too good of a preface. But alas I am disappointed.
We're staying away from all forms of "moisture" here, including rain, snow, sleet, hail, running water, standing water, and even really salty lake water. Our bottled water must be imported from Canada or Ukraine. It's our only protection in this burgeoning Utah environment.
You think it's bad just being back in Utah? Try being pregnant in married student housing at BYU-Provo!!!! I felt like just a statistic! Seriously. But wait...you WERE in student housing in Provo and pregnant! So you know exactly what I mean!
So much for your first time mommy pregnancy being all special and stuff.
We have a lot of pregnant friends right now. And I mean friends, not just people we know!
We saw the black footed cat at the zoo here in Kansas City this weekend. It looked just like a normal domesticated cat.
Post a Comment