I am IN LOVE with Allrecipes.com. Oh, you are too? Well, here are my two favorite recipes to make this time of year:
Amazingly Good Eggnog
"It's taken me several years to perfect this recipe. Now everyone asks, 'When are you making the eggnog?!!' This uses cooked eggs for safety, and you can use more or less rum to taste. It's a bit of work to make, but well worth it. You'll never buy store-bought eggnog again! Enjoy!"
| PREP TIME | 20 Min |
| COOK TIME | 8 Min |
| READY IN | 6 Hrs 28 Min |
INGREDIENTS
- 4 cups milk
- 5 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups light rum
- 4 cups light cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
DIRECTIONS
- Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs. Pour mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for about an hour.
- Stir in rum, cream, 2 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
Angel Food Cake III
"Classic angel food cake, light and tastes great by itself!"
DIRECTIONS
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Be sure that your 10 inch tube pan is clean and dry. Any amount of oil or residue could deflate the egg whites. Sift together the flour, and 3/4 cup of the sugar, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip the egg whites along with the vanilla, cream of tartar and salt, to medium stiff peaks. Gradually add the remaining sugar while continuing to whip to stiff peaks. When the egg white mixture has reached its maximum volume, fold in the sifted ingredients gradually, one third at a time. Do not overmix. Put the batter into the tube pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake springs back when touched. Balance the tube pan upside down on the top of a bottle, to prevent decompression while cooling. When cool, run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a plate.
Eggnog, traditional Christmas. Angel Food Cake? Not so much. But can I help that the Eggnog recipe calls for 12 egg yolks, and the Angel Food Cake calls for 12 egg whites?? Suddenly they are perfect companions!





11 comments:
I was a little worried about you when I read about the rum...I'm thinking "I'm pretty sure rum is alcoholic...does she know that?" Then I read your comment so I feel good.
That is so smart to have two recipes that use both parts of the egg. I love angel food cake but I've only made it from scratch once and it flopped (meaning is was completely flat almost). I'll have to try again, I also love eggnog- thanks for the inspiration!
I am all about the rum! I am kidding... I think! This recipe looks great. We will have to try it! Thanks!
I use that same eggnog recipe! We've been making it for a number of years too...crazy. :) I must admit that it is the best thing ever. I was wasting the egg whites though- so it's good to have the angel food cake recipe. Perfect.
so I just realized it was rum-lady that said she's been making it for a number of years, not you. ha ha.
No worries, Car (Care? how on earth do you spell that??) It was her that said that, but I have actually been making it for a number of years. Although it was actually you who introduced me to this. :)
I saw the Angel Food cake recipe and thought how odd that you would call that a Christmas recipe...but I get it and you're a genius! A dozen eggs later and you have 2 fabulous treats!
[female voice trying to sound deep like a mans]
I love everything you cook. You are the best wife ever. I am so lucky to have you.
janae - ooops, I mean SAM.
Oh, SAM, thank you so much. I just LOVE when you comment on my blog and compliment my cooking. That was so nice of you.
(hint, hint, hint...)
Don't you hate when people have random conversations with themselves in an effort to try to CONVINCE their husbands to give them some verbal feedback. Yeah, me too.
You are so smart. What a great idea with the eggs!
Oooh! I love homemade eggnog! Mmmmm. I'll have to try this recipe soon! Hey, have you tried adding pumpkin puree to it? It is totally yummy. (if you like the taste of liquid pumpkin pie mixed with eggnog.) :-)
Sarah
Post a Comment