Sunday, December 14, 2008

Eastern Excursion 19: DC Temple

We've discussed this, but the DC Temple is actually in MARYLAND (which makes me so much cooler).


WASHINGTON DC TEMPLE


Any trip to the Baltimore-Washington Metro Area absolutely MUST include a trip to the famed LDS temple. On the traffic reports they actually refer to the area of the 95 that passes near the temple as "Mormon Temple." They don't even say "the Mormon Temple." Just "Mormon Temple." As in, "There are three accidents at Mormon Temple." I laugh every time I hear it. Except not about the three accidents. That is sad. I cry about that.

Carol, Molly, Enoch

Anyway, we've gone to the temple a handful of times, but never taken pictures. Today, though, we met up with my Aunt Carol and cousin Molly to see the amazing Christmas lights outside, and the nativity displays and decorated Christmas trees inside. I took a picture of the lights outside, but it really doesn't do justice to how amazing they were. There was also a life-size nativity display with speakers reading the Bible story, and LIVE ACTORS for Mary and Joseph. That was cool.

Some of the nativities: Portugal, China, Bolivia (this one is actually my aunt Carol's!)



Poor Molly was probably sick of her own name by the end of the night. At any give time you could overhear Seara saying things like this: "Molly, thanks for coming to see us, Molly. Molly, come over here Molly. Molly, I dropped my hat, Molly."


Alright, let's talk about the definition of the word 'busy'. There is Walmart on a Saturday afternoon ... then there is the Liberty Bell during summer vacation ... then there is the DC Temple Visitor's Center during the Christmas lights. It was PACKED. We could hardly move. Lucky duck missionaries. I never had it so good. But that is a story for another day. (Not that I'm dissing stateside missionaries. Just that we didn't have anything like this that was so conducive to missionary work in Portugal.)

me 'n my hottie

15 comments:

Krishele said...

Janae, having the DC Temple in Maryland does make you cooler! That's really neat that you could meet up with your Aunt...and I'm sure Molly didn't mind Seara. It's hard for us parents to understand, but those young girls just eat that up! They love being needed.

Melanie said...

What a beautiful temple! We always had a picture of the DC temple in my house growing up because my mom loves it. (It was her temple when she was growing up...in West Virginia) Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Matt said...

I love the DC temple! So beautiful! I think that's a great idea, the way you still do Santa, but have it like a game. I guess, like I said, my biggest fear is ruining it for other kids. But I think that beats lying to our children. I really hope you didn't get the idea from me that I think people who do santa are evil! I think everyone is entitled to celebrate the way they choose! I was merely saying how much I don't like being harrassed by santa claus myself. Not that others shouldn't enjoy him

Cara said...

That is one thing I regret from our Pittsburgh years. DC was our temple, but I never went (Columbus, Ohio was actually closer so we went to it instead). Barry was able to go though. Anyways. Looks like fun, as usual. :)

Cara said...

Oh, and I forgot to say. I loved the crying about the accidents part. That was funny. What you said, not the accidents. ;)

Lyndi said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! I miss that temple. I think that was the first temple I was old enough to really pay attention to. I even got to do baptisms as a beehive there. So beautiful! I wanted to get married there, but by the time the date came around, both our families were in UT and it would have been a little inconvenient to make everyone go back there. :)

Anonymous said...

You look like you had a wonderful time! Still so jealous of you guys!

Natalie said...

janae, enoch is getting so old! and so cute! i can't believe seara is talking so much. i'm actually really jealous that she knows molly's name.

Jolie said...

We have some other friends who are also living out there right now. The husband is attending USHUS, the military med school there. Anyway, his wife told me that the DC Temple was originally more illuminated at night than its current state. Traffic accidents on that stretch of road increased dramatically because everyone was too busy looking at the wonderous awe that is the "Mormon Temple" and not paying attention to their driving.
So the temple presidency (or whoever heads up matters of exterior temple illumination!) decided that it would be better if they made the lighting a bit more subdued.

janae said...

Jolie - hearsay around here is that the reason that those three accidents happen (even in daylight during the summer) is because the temple is distracting. I always assumed it was a Mormon rumor that made people feel cool. Maybe I was wrong! :)

Cara said...

So I just noticed that it was "Eastern Excursion 19". NINETEEN!!! Dude! That's a lot! Have you run out of ideas yet? What a neat idea this whole thing was. Good for you for acting on that inspiration. :)

janae said...

Run out of ideas?? NO WAY! Just you wait Henry Higgins, just you wait! I have every week until mid-April planned, and I could always add more. Plus, with the semester break coming up we have some really cool trips planned. I'm super excited!

Babydoll said...

I really love the DC temple. Funny how popular the temple gets during Christmas light season. That's mostly why they do it-right?

janae said...

Bos - yeah, I think they light the lights the day after Thanksgiving and keep them up until New Years. It is kinda funny how popular the temple is at this time! I know Mesa does special stuff for Easter, but that I know of DC doesn't.

Asialene said...

I would love to see those nativities. That is so cool that Carol's set was used. I actually only took out two of my nativities this year! I have more Christmas stuff in my basement than I took out. But now that Christmas is almost here, I'm really glad I didn't go through all the work. What a fun excursion! Can't wait to do it myself. ;)