BALTIMORE MUSEUM OF ART

Thanks to the Baltimore City and Baltimore County, the Museum of Art is free. But, because of that Samuel and I set our expectations pretty low. We were pleasantly surprised! The museum has pieces by Rembrandt, Matisse, Picasso, Cézanne, Manet, Degas, Gauguin, van Gogh, and Renoir. It was really a cool museum! Okay, okay. So my husband is an art geek. I can't help it if we do lots of art museum things. (Ironic that the hubby is the one vying for the museums, and I'm the one vying for baseball, basketball, football, and lacrosse. The tables are turned in this marriage. :) The best thing about the museum is that it is really kid friendly. I mean REALLY. The place was fabulous.
Self Portrait, Rembrandt, 1660

Due to my current obsession with all things having to do with Taiwan and China, my favorite exhibit was the one of Taiwanese and Chinese artifacts. (You didn't know about that obsession, did you? See, even though you read my journal you still don't know everything that goes on in my life. I am actually planning on learning Mandarin and was supposed to take a class this last semester, but then some stuff came up with the kids and it had to be postponed. Eventually I'll do it. Didn't know that, either, did ya??)
Guanyin: Goddess of Mercy, Ming Dynasty, early 15th century

Sam loved the mosaics and the portrait below. The portrait was actually pretty amazing. Of course. It was done by a woman. :)
Tigress and Boar, Antioch, 5th century

Portrait of a Young Lady, attr to Caterina van Hemessen, circa 1560

Last, but not least, I have to throw in my, "Sam, sit down and pretend to do that" picture. We generally take at least one of those. This one was followed by, "Take the picture quickly, Janae. I don't think I'm allowed to sit on this thing." He is such a good sport!
The Thinker, Rodin, 1904-1917


11 comments:
Being the art geek I am, this was fantastic! Great idea, Janae!
Oooo looks like fun!
I love finding kid-friendly places.
(uh, but really I'm here to say your vampire Santa comment was hilarious)
(and also, I hope when you become fluent in all things Asian, you still blog in English. I cannot learn Mandarin just to read your blog. haha ;)
That last quote and picture is so funny! I would actually really enjoy a museum like that. What a nice bonus that it was free!
What culture! :) Your kids really are lucky to be exposed to all that. Good job Momma Janae. :)
Katie - fyi I have about zero ambition to learn the Chinese characters, so no worries! :) If I can say, "Hello! I am hungry. Where is the bathroom?" I'll count myself successful!
Cara - if only the kids remembered any of the stuff they see! We pretend we're being good parents by exposing them to such 'cultured' things, but the truth is, we only drag them along because we don't have a babysitter!
Nope, no idea about the Chinese thing. You are entirely overly ambitious, by the way.
I love the thinker picture, too. Very nice. You guys are so much fun, we should totally hang out.
Shel - we should hang out. It's only a 31 hour drive to my house (62 hour round trip). Why don't you come over for games on Saturday night? :)
I wish ...
I love free museums. Wish I could go to all the fun stuff with you!
Wow, so when I saw the Rembrandt self portrait I think my jaw dropped, that is so awesome that you got to see such awesome art. I don't like to do art so much as I like to view art; I'm totally jealous!
Jessica - back in 2006 the BYU MOA had a Christ display with an original Rembrandt Christ. It was AMAZING! You should keep an eye out and see if they don't have something like that again. BYU is pretty cool like that! :)
I enjoyed the bored look on the children's faces. And I enjoyed Sam's final comment.
We have a pretty good museum here in Kansas City that we enjoy taking the kids to. Also because we don't get a babysitter.
Post a Comment