MOUNT VERNON

Mount Vernon is the plantation home of George Washington. The Mount Vernon Mansion is up on a hill overlooking the Potomac River and was purchased by Washington in 1754. He later added two huge additions to the original home. When he died in 1799, a household inventory was taken, and the house is currently set up based on that inventory.


The grounds have been set up as they would have been in Washington's day - with gravel trails, wood fences, 18th century gardens, a 4-acre working pioneer farm, a 16-sided barn, and breeds of animals that Washington had. On the farm we saw horses, mules, cattle, oxen, sheep, and rams. And wandering freely on the grounds we saw roosters, wild turkeys, geese, and deer. Needless to say, seeing the animals was hands down the kids' favorite part of the whole trip!
two GREAT men

Near the mansion we walked through the restored kitchen, wash house, slave quarters, overseer's quarters, coach house, and stables. We also got to see the Old Tomb, where Washington was originally buried, and the new tomb that his will requested be built and where his remains are currently. (Well, unless he's already been resurrected, but we won't go in to that. :)


The most interesting part, though, was the Mt. Vernon Mansion. The house has original furnishings, including a harpsichord, a swivel chair Washington used during his presidency, a key to the Bastille given to Washington by the Marquis de Lafayette, a large globe Washington commissioned for his study, and the master bed that Martha had made especially for her husband's 6'2" frame.
I feel like I say this every week, but this was FASCINATING!!

13 comments:
That really does sound fascinating. I have learned to love history more and more as I get older, so these excursions of yours are a highlight for me!
That sounds like a fun trip! I love going to old homes that are set up exactly how they were when the people actually lived there.
Very cool! What a neat experience! Take us with you on your next excursion, please! I guess you kind of do with your posts, huh? Thanks!
So today I found myself thinking, "I wonder where Janae will go today? I can't wait to read about it!" So there you have it. I love reading about everything.
Sounds like you had fun today! Animals always make kids happy.
We miss you by the way!
Janae! Those pics of your kids are so cute, especially Seara. So adorable. I'm gonna miss being around them (and you!). Also, just FYI, I thought I'd make you aware of my coolness. I definitely sang at Mount Vernon with my Madrigals in high school and we got to wear their old fashioned clothes and stuff.
Sounds like another fun trip. Glad I'm learning through you since we were so lame when we lived in the East. :)
When I took a tour of the capital building (I'm pretty sure I was 13 so my memory might be off) there is a room called the Washington room designed to honor George Washington. So there are lots of pictures, statues, etc. The plan was to have his remains buried underneath this room but they couldn't because his will said he wanted to be buried at Mount Vernon. Great pictures and post!
Oh it looks like you all had a good time. I love the pictures. They are absolutely adorable. haha
I remember thinking the slave quarters was really interesting when we were there. I loved going there and would love to go back!
It looks like you guys are enjoying your time there! You are so brave to venture out with 3 little ones! I am impressed!
(I did take your name off our sidebar - I completely understand!)
I love all your weekend trips and seeing pictures of your cute family. It looks like so much fun. Glad you guys are doing well.
I'm always a big fan of animals on excursions...it's always a winner with the kids. It's neat that you guys are getting to see all of this neat stuff.
I love that you guys are doing weekend excursions!!! It's so fun that you are close to so many historic and amazing sites. So glad to hear you guys are taking advantage of the great location!! Thanks for sharing the photos. Those kids are adorable!!!
Post a Comment