blog stalk \blo'g sto'k or bläg sto'k\, verb:
1 to religiously check a blog for any new content, usually multiple times per day
2 to secretly read someone's blog with the express purpose of learning more about them without their knowledge; to stalk via blog
I solved my problem with definition 1 when I discovered Google Reader. I generally don't have a problem with definition 2. Generally. As in I only stalk one person.
Let me introduce you to my blog stalkee:
Brooke is my older sister's friend, so I'm not as crazy as I sound. But she doesn't know who I am, and she doesn't know that I know so many intimate details about her life. I don't stalk her blog because I'm a psycho, though!! I stalk her for three reasons:
(1) She does cute things like put an accent in her name, surround her name by these things {} (What are those called? Does anyone know?), and describe herself in her blog profile with just one sentence: "I am flippant." Don't you just love her?? I guess if I copy her now everyone will know it and not credit me with such ingenious ideas. Blast. I guess this will help my honesty kick. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea after all.
(2) She is me. Only she doesn't know it. But check this out. I read those first five sentences and thought, "Oh my gosh, I wrote that!!"
(3) She is hilarious to a degree that I can only dream of! This is my all-time favorite post of hers. But this one is a close second.
I think my stalking just reached an all-new, unhealthy level. As in I'm posting a tribute to my stalkee. I just might need therapy.
So what inspired this tribute to Brooke? My cousin Devin's wife, Allie. She did one of those tag things, and she tagged me. And I wanted revenge, so I needed to tag her back. So today Brooke did one of those tag things. I've seen this one recently and it cracked me up, and unfortunately my kids are too little to do it for me. BUT ALLIE'S AREN'T!! So, Allie (and Lyndi, and Asialene, and Cara, and anyone else with kids who can speak full intelligible sentences on a regular basis):
TAG! YOU'RE IT!!
Here's what you do: Go to Brooke's blog post. Copy the list of questions and ask them to your kids. Then share the answers.
ps. Allie, I'm just kidding. I don't really want revenge. I just want to know what your crack-up of kids will answer. :) Here is your tag.
Five Things on my To Do List
1. Buy new computer
2. Come up with a creative way to destroy stupid, slow, old computer
3. Film the destroying of said old computer
4. Make movie of destruction of old computer
5. Post film on blog to entertain the masses
Five Jobs I’ve Had
1. Janitor for the LDS church (There is a reason I hate vacuuming ... seven hours of vacuuming a day, five days a week, for an entire summer would convince anyone to never EVER vacuum again. BTW, the eighth hour was toilet time. I actually looked forward to that part after the vacuuming.)
2. Bagger at Macey's grocery store (aka professional flirt)
3. Secretary for BYU Catering (This is called being paid to do your homework. You can only organize the entire office so many times before you cave in and ask the boss if you can actually be productive.)
4. Spanish Teacher at the MTC (Unfortunately, I found that 19 year-old boys and I have similar senses of humor. I loved this job!!)
5. Mom (I may not be employed, but I sure as heck do WORK!)
Five Places I’ve Lived
1. San Juan, Puerto Rico
2. Cochabamba, Bolivia
3. Sandy, Utah
4. Porto, Portugal
5. Baltimore, Maryland
Five Favorite Snacks
1. Granny Smith apples with cheese or peanut butter
2. Chocolate milk
3. Spoonfuls of brown sugar (hey, remember, I'm working on honesty here)
4. Vanilla yogurt
5. Pears with cottage cheese
Five Things I would do if I were a Billionaire
1. Build a tree-house getaway like they have on that old Disney Swiss Family Robinson movie
2. Make one of those super-tall hedge mazes with lookout points in case you get lost
3. Build a tall building, put all my money in coins, fill the building with coins, and swim in it like Scrooge McDuck
4. Go to the moon
5. Build a house that is full of secret passageways
Five Things You May Not Know about Me
1. I have a small gap between my front teeth that I edit out in all my pictures. (I lost my retainer on my mission, so I didn't have the gap before then. Okay, I didn't have it from the time I was 13 until I was 20. But I'm not going to resurrect with a gap, so I'm pretending it never happened. One day I'll be rich enough to go to an orthodontist and get it fixed. Again.)
2. I really, really, really want to learn French.
3. My two dreams in life are to walk on The Great Wall of China and to go on an African Safari. (Both of which were done recently by people I love - Davis & Asialene walked on the Great Wall and Bart & Rebecca went on a Safari. Jerks.)
4. I have Finding Nemo memorized. As in the entire movie. Word for word. (And not because it's Seara's or Elijah's favorite movie. Its mine.)
5. My name is Janae Ricks, and I'm a recovering Spider Solitaire addict. I have been clean now for one week. (I deleted the game off my computer. Enough was enough.)
Five Things I Love
1. Trees
2. Traveling
3. Talking to people
4. Swimming
5. Blogging

10 comments:
i'm also addicted to blogging/checking blogs...
google reader has definitely helped out (except for those who opt to have their blog password protected! ARG!)
i liked reading your tag items...you crack me up!
i guess i feel busted because i just recently started stalking your family. but if you are related is it really stalking? anyway, i think you guys are so cute and i like checking up on what you are doing. there, i feel better coming out of the closet! you can check up on me and my sisters links (we all just started blogging)at keepingupwiththekartchners.blogspot.com
Your welcome for "introducing" you to Brooke. :) You guys would get along so well, if you ever met in real life. Your tag was fun to read. :)
Okay, your blog post inspired me to come clean as well. I've been blog stalking you since about April. My sister Alyn is married to Nathan Hancock who is your husband's cousin (I think). Anyway I got to your blog from their blog when you had the Jane Austen character post (I love Jane Austen, I'm Elenore Dashwood by the way) and I got hooked. Some of my favorite posts have been the carpet stain (just like the script of an I Love Lucy episode) and the birth story as I'm also expecting a baby soon. I feel weird introducing myself when I feel like I know you so well and you don't know me at all...like I stole your diary or something. I hope this doesn't creep you out. You're welcome to blog stalk me as well but I don't promise anything nearly as creative or entertaining as your posts. Thanks for the many entertaining posts. It's nice to finally "come out of the closet" and post.
Janae,
Thanks so much for sending me that Tag, I loved doing it! I'm really going to try to do that more often with my kids! :)
You have a very beutiful baby.
Cheers to the happy family
Lucia Tavares
Gees! I am blushing! This makes my day! I am so glad you that you get me! My hubby doesn't understand why I just have a one line bio, but you do! I have to read through your blog and get caught up on you. I am sure this is the begining of a beautiful friendship!!
Your kids are so beautiful!!
Hey, I too want to learn French...I took three years in High School. I've lost most of it, but I can still understand bits and pieces of conversations I hear, but I'd like to be able to communicate again!
And I ALSO want to walk the great wall of China. We have a friend who lives in Beijing who said we can stay with him if we ever go there. We were thinking about going for the Olympics, but then this whole Africa Thing happened, so it didn't work out.
Oh well. We missed the Olympics, but hopefully we'll still make it to China one day.
Oh, and I used to blog stalk my aunt...I know, it sounds weird, but her mom married my grandpa, and I've only met her once, so I didn't really know her. My mom gave me their blog when they were staying at her house to escape the smoke filled air of San Diego when they were having the fires there. I had been stalking her ever since. However, I was forced to come clean a few months ago when she took her blog private. It's good to have that off my chest.
If and when the time comes for getting a new computer I am more than willing to help you find a good deal :) (I like doing that kind of stuff, I guess it helps that it is my degree and profession also-- I am weird I know) I am a geek in every sense of the word -- let me know what you are looking for and I will let you know what I can find.
Post a Comment