Sunday, March 13, 2011

Passport Progression

This summer I am taking my kids out of the country for the very first time...a whole 17 minutes across the Canadian border. I know, you are dying of excitement. So is Sam. He's never been to Canada before. I mean, 17 minutes whole minutes into it. That's a lot.

But check it - 17 minutes or not, we still have to have passports to go. Seriously. Luckily, Sam's passport expires a month after we get back. And the kids can actually go with birth certificates. But me? Well, apparently if you don't update your name within one year of marriage, your passport is invalid. Boo.

Anyway, as I went through the whole application process for getting a new passport, I found all my old ones. Sadly, my best passport pic was at age 6--with at least half a head of bangs.

Feb 1983 (7 mo) ------- May 1989 (6 yrs) ------- Jan 2000 (17 yrs) ------- Feb 2011 (28 yrs)


So while I was at it, I decided to get a Canadian passport as well. Just to make me that much cooler when I'm crossing the border into Canada. Because dual citizenship actually does make you awesomer than everyone else on the planet. Unfortunately, you aren't allowed to smile for your Canadian passport (hence that last pic) because they want to know what you look like when you are in angry-killer mode.  Since I know my angry-killer face is incriminating, I nixed the straight face and did an almost smile.  I'm tricky like that.

12 comments:

Cara said...

Okay, that last paragraph cracked me up, over and over again. You are awesome. :) And I like your new picture. You look good. :)

Qait said...

Looks great! I made the mistake of having my hair pulled back. Why am I so stupid on picture days?

Aubrey said...

I love your baby passport! We had to get one for c when she was about a month old. It is valid for another two years... Funny, given the newborn photo on it.

Kelli said...

First, I didn't know you were only 7 months older than me. I thought it was a little over a year. Hmm. And no, I think your 6 year old picture is for sure NOT the best one. I'd say the 7 month or the new one. I think the new one looks great! Full smile or not!

Jessica said...

Your hair is so long! Remember a long time ago when you cut it...

Caroline said...

I think your baby one is cute too.

janae said...

Aubrey - I think the same thing. I mean, my baby one was valid until I got the 6 year old one, and look how different I looked!

Jessica - Ha, ha! It feels like forever ago and yesterday at the same time. I guess I'm growing it out again. Although this time around I have a goal to actually do my hair once in a while. Hardly anyone but my close friends (like you) actually knew how long my hair even was because I always kept it up in a bun!

Paige said...

Those bangs are rockin!!!

I got my passport pic when I was 15 in all my braced-out-smile/lookin-like-a-boy-awkward-life-phase glory. I'm so unrecognizable it may as well be a pic of me as an infant.

Ruth said...

super cute Janae. You look a lot like your dad. It's fun to see how much Enoch looks like you.

janae said...

Ruth - THANK YOU. I've always thought I looked like my dad (and that Enoch's looking like him is because he looks like me) but no one else seems to see it. I feel validated. :)

Krishele said...

I don't even have a passport. How much lamer does that make me than everyone else on the planet? Oh, well at least I broke out of the "bubble" and am getting some "culture" if that's what you call it.

By the way, you are tricky like that. I love that last picture...it looks like you are half a second from breaking into one of those snorting laughs that everyone does when they are trying not to smile/laugh. You're great.

Erica said...

Dang, that almost smile is hot!
My passport photos looks like I'm high, drunk, sleep-deprived and about ready to bomb everyone into smithereens. It causes some problems at the border.