Thursday, March 17, 2011

Please, Not the Burn Unit!


At 4:45 pm, right on schedule, I started thinking about what to make for dinner.  Then WHACK! it hit me...

My mom bought corned beef and cabbage...St. Patrick's Day...I was supposed to make it for dinner...Oh dang...It surely takes several hours to cook....[look it up]...Yup. Three...Great, I'll only have dinner ready two hours late...How can I speed this up?...Microwave? Really hot oven?...Nah, it'll be tough...Maybe we could have St. Patrick's dinner on the 18th?...No one will care, right? Right??... Wrong...Blast................THAT'S IT!  Pressure cooker!...Janae, [yes, I talk to myself in the third person inside my head] you've never used a pressure cooker before, and you have a tendency to burn yourself at least every other day. This is probably not a good idea...


But I did it anyway.  Me + pressure cooker + no idea what I'm doing = DANGER.  Here's hoping I don't end up in the emergency room tonight.




ps. Just got a text from Sam.  BYU is doing their own New Testament movie in conjunction with the ones the church is doing, and since Sam already had a beard, he figured he'd join in.  Here he is in costume:

11 comments:

Amanda said...

tell me how that pressure cooker cooking turned out with corned beef....good luck to you!

Cara said...

You need to give us an update on how it went! And Sam looks awesome. Seriously.

Qait said...

He looks very much in character! Great way to put his beard to use. :) I hope your dinner turned out well...I've done "dangerous" meals before, too, and if I'm cooking for company, they always flop.

Stacy Lynn Carroll said...

Use the canned corned beef next time. Much faster when you're in a hurry! And you can microwave it. Much less dangerous!

janae said...

Amanda - Well, I survived! When it was done I thought I had let the pressure out and was about to remove the lid, when my mom came home and showed me that I actually had NOT let the pressure out and I had almost burned my face off. PHEW. It wasn't quite as tender as it might have been, but it turned out really good. :)

Kori said...

I've never made corn beef so I'd be clueless also. You must have updated your blog a lot recently because I checked about 10 days ago It think and there was nothing new.

Paige said...

Awesome, I am glad it turned out well. I think it was a touch of phonecall half-way through--it's my Irish luck :D

PS: Joseph agreed to watch your chillin's with me if you guys come down here!

janae said...

Paige - Oh, it was definitely your Irish luck! :)

Jolie said...

very glad to see that you did NOT burn your face off. Yikers that could have ended badly!! Luck o' the Irish, indeed!!

p.s. what is Sam's ethnic heritage? I mean, I know without a beard he looks caucasian/anglo-saxon. whatever. But it's funny how just growing out his beard makes him look Semetic!!

janae said...

Jolie - Sam is mostly British, with a bit of Prussian, a bit of Danish (that's where they say the black hair and olive skin is from), and a bit of American Indian (which is where I think the black hair and olive skin is from). He's the only person in his family with black hair, though, and his eyes are green. So yeah, he definitely looks pretty caucasian without a beard!

Krishele said...

I don't even own a pressure cooker. They scare me.