![]() |
| Random picture, not quite in focus, but still cute. |
To make the trip fun for the kids, I called my friend Caroline, and she and her son Alex joined us for lunch at JDawgs (heaven!) and bowling at the Games Center before my errands. The kids were having fun and I was super pleased with myself for being such an awesome mom. [Insert back pat and smug smile.] And then--just as we were ending our bowling game--Enoch did the unthinkable. Something none of my kids have ever done outside the home. The perfect Murphy's law twist to my pride. He messed. his. pants. AHHH! Right after I took the change of clothes out of my purse! Talk about dramatic irony. So I did the only thing I could think of doing: I removed his pants and undies, wrapped them in a plastic bag, and borrowed a too-small diaper from my friend just as she was leaving.
Now I had a decision to make: Do I call it a day and take the kids home? Or do I insist on doing my errands? I took a long look at Enoch: his poofy down winter coat, tiny diaper, bare legs, socks, and shoes. He looked really goofy. "Well, I don't care." I thought. "I came a long way, and blast it all, I'm doing what I came for." So off we went, walking at least half a mile through the busiest parts of campus, doing my errands.
You know, when you have three children with you on a university campus, people watch you curiously. But when you have three children on campus in the middle of winter, and one is wearing a huge coat, a tiny diaper, and no pants, people downright STARE.
But hey, the old adage says "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service." It says nothing about pants. :)


16 comments:
Haha! So do you have pants and undies back in your bag?
You think I would, but I don't. It was a one-time thing and hasn't happened again. Phew! (Although saying that now, it sounds dumb because obviously I didn't expect it the first time, so you think I'd be better prepared now!)
I can so relate! From the time we started potty training Ender, he hasn't peed his pants (we're talking 6 months). Then two days in a row he peed his pants OUTSIDE of the home! At the grocery store (in the kid-car cart, NASTY) and then at the park even though I asked him a bazillion times and then he peed an instant after telling me he didn't have to. *sigh* Sorry if you can feel the frustration venting out.
As for pooping, yeah...I don't think he ever has pooped outside the home, but it wouldn't surprise me since he seems to love pooping his pants. Arg. Potty training. I want it done already!
Oh! One more thing. So we had Ender in a spare change of undies at the grocery store (just my luck that I had them in my purse--I did the opposite of you and randomly put them IN), and he was only wearing his coat since he'd peed on his shoes. So we got some weird looks too. Especially since his coat mostly hid his undies.
oh that story is one for posterity. That's hilarious to picture in my mind. The funny thing is, a child can get away with looking so ridiculous in public. But if an adult walked through a college campus with no pants on, they'd be arrested!! haha.
Life can be so, so ironic sometimes. Darn that Murphy's Law.
It was a fun day. And that was WAY funny:) I think the only thing that would have topped it if it was the day that the apostles came to visit campus...especially if it was Elder Holland:)
Haha I wish I would have seen you guys on campus! I love those moments where you realize that you can't judge anyone because you hope they're not judging you!
Caroline - Oh, heavens. You're right. That definitely would have topped it!
Hey we have done that before! Keeps me humble, I say, defiently honorary mom status!
I hope you know I'm taking mommy notes. They are priceless!
Mel - I'm glad you already have one, otherwise I might be scaring you off! :)
(I didn't know where else to answer you)--
My parents didn't try to get us to believe in Santa; they didn't mind if we did, but they never tried to convince us. They even explained that he's made up from legends and is just for fun. I never minded! We had AWESOME Christmases! We have a tradition of my parents booby-trapping the house so that it would be hard to get to the tree (that's the really SHORT version), and that was always, ALWAYS so much fun! So I really didn't mind.
I was silly enough, though, that when I was about 12, I thought maybe I was missing out on the world's experience of Christmas, and I actually "tried" to believe in Santa. It didn't work, which I knew it wouldn't, and I felt a little foolish (but it had been fun to try for about a month or two).
I'm totally doing it the same way for my kids. Santa is fun, but that's all. I grew up understanding that Christ was more important than Santa, and even with all the crazy booby traps, Christ was more the focus.
(We did enjoy teasing about Santa bringing things because it wasn't true--delightful for little kids because they're in on the joke).
In some ways, I'm sad I wasn't around for the winter coat/diaper combo. Would've been fun to see. :)
I love this post. simply perfect.
You know, I've never been to JDawgs. Jason doesn't like hot dogs. I know I'm missing something good....grrr.
I'm sorry that you were in that situation. That always stinks (no pun intended). I'll leave it at that because you KNOW I don't want to get started on any potty training stories. I'm still in my year and 4 month long nightmare of that.....
May I be greatly blessed for not having killed my own child by now.
This is awesome. That is all I can say.
hahah, so true. a "no pants no service" rule would make my kid starve pretty much. he loves going pants free all.the.time. super classy, right? ;)
YOURS, MINE AND OURS
Post a Comment