You know, sometimes you get this idea in your head that everyone else in the world is just like you. That what you do is completely normal. That everybody does it.
This is not true.
And I found that out loud and clear this afternoon. Apparently the new mode among bloggers is to post pictures of your outfits, right? But get this: they actually dress up cute. I mean boots, scarves, belts. Yeah. I know. Stylish mothers. Unbelievable. Check these guys out before you read on:
Sam's cousin
Sam's cousins' wife*
A friend's sister-in-law
So apparently I didn't get bitten by the style bug. Oh, the oceans of difference between me and them! Just to capture the irony, I snapped some picture of my daily drab...
1) Tube socks with slippers. I wear these slippers a minimum of 5-6 days a week. I wear them to the school. I wear them to the store. I wear them in the rain and in the snow. I love these slippers. (And my tube socks.) I am super cool. Obviously.
3) A t-shirt. I almost always wear plain t-shirts. Even in the winter. Although I do vary between v-neck and round-neck. And I'll add my one of my two hoodies if it's cold.
4) And, of course, to top it all off I wear my glasses and a pony. Because they really match the style of my clothing, you know? I mean, you can't wear your slippers everywhere and actually have your hair done! The irony!
*Okay, she's actually not a mother, she's just cute and married.

23 comments:
Ah, I love it! I, too, have no real sense of style or fashion. It's my dream to one day a)have money to spend on clothes and b)have someone tell me how to dress.
Nice. You look comfy though! :)
Btw, those aren't "tube socks"...tube socks have no heel.
I can't claim to be stylish, either. I just try to look clean!:)
Love it! I'm impressed you didn't say you wore your pajama bottoms all day, not that I think you do, but I DO a lot of the time. Today its Yoga pants since I'm not expecting to actually go anywhere. It's funny that women are beginning to blog about what they wear on their blogs... I don't get it. Do they want a fashion award or something?! I used to love to shop, that was BEFORE I had kids and didn't have to shop for maternity clothes. I still have fun shopping, just not for myself... I get more pleasure out of finding cute clothes for my boys. Anyhow I found myself thinking just yesterday as I was waiting out in the parking lot in front of my boys preschool, how come so many of these mothers bring their kids to school, the kids look okay, most of the time,but the moms are all dressed like they're going somewhere fancy... seriously, is it really necessary to wear 5 inch heeled boots with skinny jeans outside in the snowy parking lot when all you're doing is dropping off your kid at preschool?! I don't get it. Usually I feel way under dressed wearing flip flops (yes, I wear them the snow) a pair of jeans and a hoodie. I'd hate to know what some of these women may think of me. The worst place to visit is University Mall in Orem, particularly on the weekends- if you really want to feel like a frump go there then; mothers and daughters are all dressed like they just walked off of the runway!
This is kenny...I was just reading with Natalie and decided that you are really cool. That's all.
Looks just like my wardrobe. Thanks for blogging about it. Now I don't have to. :)
I do wish I had a pair of awesome boots.
Cara - [shrug] Liam makes fun of me and calls them tube socks.
I am lovin' it! Janae, you rock. Seriously.
Oh and thanks for sharing the links to the Ricks' cousins' blogins :)
Woo hoo! High five for daily drab! If I took pictures of my chique wardrobe, it'd look remarkably similar to this.
Because I use to wear your clothes, does that make me a lame dresser too? You could always just not wear bottoms when you do your laundry. It's always an option.... I did walk around BYU campus with you when one of your children had no pants. I don't see a problem with going pantless. Remember it's no shoes, no shirts, no service. Nothing to do with pants.
Um, I missed the memo about blogging about fashion. Personally, I think fashion is EXTREMELY overrated. Granted, I think I should at least try to still look like a person for my spouse, but really who am I trying to impress? I don't really go anywhere and if I do...who really cares what I'm wearing? My hubby doesn't care if I'm "in" with the trends. I still wear a bunch of stuff I had in high school. Besides that, if I'm not trendy, I don't have to worry about looking "so last year" because I didn't buy anything that was in style. I hardly update my wardrobe at all really. I think the shows like What Not to Wear are ridiculous. Who decides what looks good anyway. Just a bunch of insecure people telling other people that their wardrobe is trash to make themselves look/feel better. Oh it's soooo dumb.
Can you tell you hit a nerve?
Janae, I can relate. I have similar slippers and wear them all the time at home. So comfy...
Janae - you are too sweet! I don't consider myself fashionable at all. The reason I'm doing the "fashion blogging" is to learn how to be more creative with my closet.
And guess what, I'm reading this while wearing sweats, slippers, and a sweatshirt. And it's the exact same thing I put on every day after work. The same sweats, the same sweatshirt.every.day.
Oh, and I still wear things I bought in high school.
Boy you must have lots of extra space in your closet! : )
Janae,
I really loved this post! I loved checking out your friends/cousins' blogs and imagining my life in their clothes ... and reminding myself that I should be more creative with my own closet o' clothes!!
Also...as I look down to see the dried snot-slobber-spitup on my shirt this morning :), I remember why I stick to my basic Tees & pj bottoms on most every day...
you.are.not.alone!!!
You are so cool. I have never once looked at a picture of you and thought you were out of fashion. You do the t-shirt and jeans proud. I love that you are not afraid to just be who you are. (I just caught up on reading your blog, and I LOVED your 2009 Christmas movie. I was laughing the whole time. Thanks for that).
Ha Ha! My favorite days our when I wear my paint pants (that are 2x times to big), a t-shirt, and my old cowboy boots. I love your post and personality!
I like to be fashionable, but it's like I can only stand it for small amounts of time. The instant I'm home, I'm back into my sweats (pj pants or yoga pants, I guess) and some rather ugly shirt.
So...I love to look good, honestly, but not all day! That's exhausting and nowhere NEAR as comfortable!
I'm impressed you wear JEANS at home. :)
Caroline - Funny you should mention it, I have already written about that and am just waiting for the write time to actually post it.
Qait - They are incredibly soft and comfortable jeans. :)
Yeah. Get rid of the glasses and your boobs, and there's me. :) I'm glad I'm not the only one to wear my slippers out of the house.
Are you related to me or what? Everything is the same with me, except the pony, which my old hair won't grow, and the slippers...I wear wool socks all day...hummmm
For the record, I think you look extremely attractive in that outfit. :)
I think your "daily drab" looks GOOD! The days we don't have to go anywhere and don't because I am going through a "I like staying home" phase I am still in jammies when Murray comes home. I thought I had nothing to wear before getting pregnant, now I really don't! Have I told you I really ENJOY your blog? I DO!
Post a Comment