Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Who needs help!?


The kids recognized where we were the minute we drove up.  FLU SHOTS. [sigh] I'm not sure who hates them worse, me or the kids.

After a twenty minute wait, the nurse brought the four of us into the exam room. Enoch was nervous, so we decided to start with him and get it over with. He got the shot, whimpered, but handled it like a champ.  Seara was next.  She got the nasal stuff, winced, and was fine.  Then me.  They were out of adult nasal stuff, so I had to have a shot. I plastered on an amazingly fake "this is easy and fun!" face.  Totally believable. This was turning out great!  I knew I could do it by myself.  Who needs help!?  Not me!

I turned to grab Elijah. Hmmm, I swear he was just standing there.  I looked under the desk, behind the table, and in the corner. Nothing. Then the nurse noticed that the door was just slightly ajar.  Aw, blast. I quickly ran out and checked the nearby exam rooms.  Nothing.  I checked all the way down the hallway.  Nothing.  Bathrooms?  Nothing. I ran into the waiting room.  Nothing.  Toy area?  Nothing. Receptionists?  Saw nothing. Okay, either someone has kidnapped my child, or... I ran to the last place I thought possible: outside. Nothing in huge double door entry.  Nothing just outside the doors.

And then I saw him.  50 feet away from me, booking it to the busy parking lot.  "Elijah!!!"  That was when the screaming began.  I ran like the wind, scooped up the wailing, flailing child, and dragged him inside.  We (loudly) battled our way back to the exam room, while the other parents stared and their children's eyes got huge with panic.  I tried to convince Elijah to do the nasal stuff, but rather than inhale, he shot it out of his nose all over the nurse.  So I wrestled the now hysterical child, pinned him down, and they stuck him.

Then, as if some miracle had just occurred, he went dead silent. As if nothing had happened.  He got his sticker and we walked out of there with complete composure.




Sometimes, knowing I can blog about something is the only thing that makes it worth it.

11 comments:

Mary Catherine Blackburn said...

Ok I couldn't help but laugh soooo hard when I read this. I know it must have been a horrible experience but it was awesome reading it. I love you!!!!

Caroline said...

Amen to the last sentence. Have you considered putting him in a running program? I mean, really. He's fast.

Erin said...

The worse the experience is at the time the better the blog post! You are a brave woman! That often gets rewarded and things go better than you thought... and once in awhile it backfires with a runaway screaming toddler. Charlotte had a horrible doctor experience a few months ago she still hasn't recovered from poor kid. Thanks for a laugh- sorry it was at your misfortune!

Sarah Rachelle said...

Whoa. Running in the parking lot? I would have freaked out.
I have way too much experience pinning down a screaming child to get blood drawn (Mairi) and Tommy who starts to practically hyperventilate before the nurse even comes near him. Not fun. I am totally impressed that you took all three kids to do it by yourself. Good job!

Cara said...

Man. No fun. His reaction to the shot is so crazy. It's like it was a sedative too. Weird.

The Pingels said...

lol! I love reading your blogs. They make my day!

Jessica said...

Wow. That is crazy. Look at you go taking all 3 kids by yourself to get that done. Kids can be so sneaky!

Sam Ricks said...

Ah, I love that story!

Krishele said...

Oh Janae....

That was pretty entertaining, for sure. I took Kate and Andrew for flu shots by myself two years ago. Andrew cries and I hold him tight and that's that. Kate...um, yeah, Kate. She seems small and frail, but trying to pin her down for a shot was like wrestling a high schooler. Needless to say, I refuse to take them by myself anymore.

janae said...

Krishele - You are wise, my friend, you are wise.

Qait said...

AMEN!
I bless Saint Blogosphere often.