I always have lofty ideas for projects around the house. I can come up with amazing ideas and grandiose plans. My problem is not time, or will-power, or drive, or sticktoitiveness. No, it's sheer capability. I lack coordination all together. These are my projects as of late:
1) A trundle for the bunk bed. You know, so we could move our poor 2 1/2 year old out of the pack&play and into a real bed. I tried to convince my dad to help me make it, but he's no dummy. He knows how inept I am. So he found a carpenter, and I paid that guy to make it. (The wood color is slightly different only because the other stuff has seen the sun. Give the trundle a couple months with a window and it will match perfectly.)
2) Reupholster my great-grandparents' recliner. I love family history, and this chair is like a treasure to me. My own family heirloom. And it's super comfy. Need I repeat the story above? I'm inept, my dad found a reupholsterer, and a lovely benefactress paid that guy to do it. I ADORE this chair.
(For the record, I did sand, stain, and seal the wood on the bottom of the chair. Okay, okay. Sam actually stained and sealed most of it. But I sanded! Only because it's hard for me to mess that part up.)
3) Make a magnetic, chalkboard, puppet stage for the kids for Christmas. Haha. This one is bad. So I conned my dad into making it. I stood around and watched while trying to look helpful. I did absolutely nothing. My brother Liam put on the magnetic primer. Sam put on the chalkboard paint. And, the curtains? Well, my mom tried to show a little faith in me. She actually showed me how to do the stitching on the sewing machine. But in the end she relegated me to the iron, and she did all the sewing. And due to everyone else doing it, it turned out awesome!






16 comments:
I love your projects. They all look great.
I love the sign! What I want to know is where is the blog about your moutain man's beard. When we saw Mary's photos we did not even recognize him.
Tera - Ha, ha! It's coming. :)
Your projects are, indeed, amazing! You might not have the wherewithal to create the stuff, but you've certainly got a knack for project management!
Haha! I love Sam's comment...you are a great delegater.
Management it where it's at anyway right Janae? Less sweat and more bossing other people around!
-Now if the top kid falls off they won't hit the floor- just another kid. Not nearly so bad.
-I love the Smith plaque and Puppet stage especially. Very cool to make it magnetic and a chalk board so it's like 3 toys in one!
-P.S. it was so fun to see you the other day. Call us anytime you need to kill some AZ time and we'll return the favor if we ever make it out of the house all the way to UT! So maybe when my twins are like 18.
Well all projects have to start with an idea. That just may be your most amazing skill, because all those projects sounded and looked great!
Do you think my chance of finding Lee in the scriptures is a good one?? :-)
You've gotta have a better chance than Ricks! Try looking here: http://lds.org/scriptures/search?lang=eng
Man I really like that Smith plaque! Hey, at least you have a good grasp of dynamic font-ing :)
Sad there is no Ricks in the scriptures... but at least we get all the Ricks college throwback gear!
Lees — Bible Dictionary
Lees. Sediment, dregs, as in the wine-making process (Isa. 25:6; Jer. 48:11; Zeph. 1:12; cf. D&C 58:8).
Somehow, I don't think that will work! hahahaha!
Hey you came up with all the projects. I'd say that pretty creative and the hardest part!
I love it! Not everyone has to be DIY-efficient! I have a very limited list of projects I've created myself and saved money on...
um...
two come to mind?
Yeah. In my LIFE.
I'd like to imagine I just have pregnancy brain and therefore can't remember all these amazing, wonderful DIY-projects I've done. But you know what? When the need arises, I'll figure out THEN if it's something that needs to be a DIY project. Till then? We're good making other people DIY(DIT? Themselves...)
I love the trundle bed. How much did you pay for your chair? At our last yard sale I finally got rid of the floral grandma couch in my living room, but we aquired a lovely floral chair that my husband is NOT giving up, and there is NO way I am reupholstering it.
What fun projects!
Mindy - I sent an answer to your Morra email address. :)
Hey it's a talent to surround yourself with talent or to know where to find it. At this point, I pretty much don't know ANYBODY who can do ANYTHING ANYWHERE close to where I now reside. Perhaps when winter is over and people come out of hibernation...
Post a Comment