I intended to have a picture of just Enoch right here. But apparently I haven't taken a single picture of him alone since Halloween. Talk about 3rd child syndrome. This picture with Sam's dad, bro, and sis at a BYU Men's Volleyball game will have to do. And no, I don't know why the tallest girl in my family had to marry the shortest boy in his. Anyway, on to my post ...
I don't believe in the Terrible Twos.
My kids weren't terrible then. No, I believe in the Terrible 1 1/2 to Terrible 2 1/2. Whose kid waits until they are two to be mischievous? Not mine! And by about 2 1/2, they start to actually listen when I say no. Elijah is now 3 1/2, so for one blessed year I haven't had a child in the Terrible stage. It's been nothing short of bliss. No worrying about the Clorox, the Dawn, the Cascade, the crayons, the markers, the Windex, the Tide, the fridge. Alas, I knew the day would come that Enoch would hit Terrible. He began promptly at 18 months by dumping a bottle of sunscreen on the carpet. You know how greasy sunscreen feels on your skin? Just wait until you're trying to get it out of carpet!
That said, I'd like to make the case for Enoch's being the sweetest boy on earth. See, when you tell most toddlers "no" they either ignore you, or they giggle and do it quicker. (Well, at least mine do.) Enoch, on the other hand, hears "no" and immediately replies, "Okay!" with a huge grin. And then - get this - he actually obeys. As soon as I say no, he puts back what he was taking, shuts what he was opening, stops what he was doing, etc.
Basically, as long as I can be 100% vigilant, 100% of the time, we won't have any huge messes over the next year. ha. Ha.
HA.
Monday, March 22, 2010
The Terrible Twos
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Totally agreed on the terrbile 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 thing. That's how Harrison was and Elliot has already started. When Harrison was about 2 he dumped sunscreen on the carpet, so I feel your pain! It is no fun to clean up!
Of course that's assuming he continues his obedience phase. One day, he'll test it out and realize the "freedom" he has by not obeying. Well, hopefully not. But likely so. :)
oh, janae, you are so funny.
consider yourself lucky...my kids are pretty good UNTIL they hit 2 1/2, then something possesses them to be terrible for the next year and a half of their lives. Instead of calling it the "terrible twos", I prefer to call it the "terrible T's". Kids can be pretty difficult while their 2 & 3 years old, and then again during their teens. I've heard the teens are the worst, so I suppose that means we should just enjoy their younger years.
Hey, um, good luck with that. :)
Steph - I think about that all the time! Especially since we have been living with my then-16, now-17 year old brother for nearly a year. The teens are so much harder than this!
(Not that Liam isn't a great kid - he is. My parents just have so much less control. Like they can tell him to go to bed early, but they can't make him do it. My kids have no choice!)
Lets extend that to 15 months to 2 1/2. Easton was seriously an entirely different child when he turned 2 1/2. Life gets sooo much easier once you can reason, bribe, bargain with, and threaten your child.
Linds - I could see how your kids might start at 15 months. Your kids are really mobile. Since Seara couldn't walk until 15 months and Elijah until 16 months, they were a bit delayed in their mischief!
I totally agree! my kids are terrible way before 2 and sometimes lincoln still sends me a little "shout out" to his fit throwing days! and he's 5! youch. love the last line too! so true. if only huh?
If Terrible Twos means mischief, we have no hope, because I was The Most Mischievous Child--and Ender's been like that pretty much as long as I've known him. ;)
But I can handle the mischief. It's the TANTRUMS that I think make it "Terrible Twos." I'm recently trying to rewire my brain to call it Terrific Twos, but that is taking some work! HAhahah!
My son is quite a good boy, and he's usually as obedient as your Enoch. But sometimes he decides to throw a fit (which also means throwing his body around). Yesterday I was SURE he'd broken my nose...
Sometimes I wonder why I even speak, for all the obedience it generates. That said, I'm making an effort to say please and thank you more often.
I'm not even thinking about potty training until Charlie's less contrary and more cooperative.
Post a Comment