Monday, February 22, 2010

I have no shame

I want you to take a good look at my glasses in this picture (October 2007). Notice anything strange?


No? If you look carefully, on the right side of my glasses you'll notice a small, dull, black bulge. Electrical tape. My kids broke my glasses, and it was the perfect repair. In fact, some time after this picture, the left side joined the right. I wore those glasses, with electrical tape discreetly fixing them, for a year. But, alas, my kids finally broke the glasses in the middle. And that was irreparable (well, at least to wear publicly). So I got these new glasses in August 2009:


I wisely chose black, knowing my luck with electrical tape. And when the side snapped, I grabbed my trusty tape and fixed them right up. Unfortunately, my mom couldn't bear my wearing taped up glasses. It was some kind of minor tragedy to her. (Not to me. I could wear taped up glasses forever and not give a hoot.) So, at her insistence, I just got these two new pairs:


I decided to be rebellious and I traded in my old black standard for brown. What do you think?

Oh, and in case you were wondering, YES. I do always pull my hair back. The last couple years have been a fluke -- my hair was simply too short to pull back. I only ever do a down 'do for Sunday and pictures. So now you know my secret. My pictures are fake. I prep for them. I don't look like that in real life. I have received several comments on how cute I looked on my mission (that, or on how fat my face was or how awful my eyebrows looked), but the truth is, it was a total lie. I just got cute on the days we were taking pictures. Otherwise, a little mascara and a pony sufficed. And it still does. :)

22 comments:

Cara said...

I think I'd have a hard time letting one of my kids wear taped up glasses...though I've worn them before too. I like the two new pairs. They look good. :)

austinamasandra said...

I like the new glasses. My mom has bought ALL my glasses so far (and I'm almost 30), in fact she also bought Austin's 1st pair (that I brooke so for the 1st time we had to go and get them replaced, they costed us $500)...I remember the ponny & mascara days from the mission! :)

The Pingels said...

I gave up on glasses a year ago when we finally had good enough vision ins. to cover contacts. My kids couldn't keep their hands off them. As for the pony, my hair is the same. I keep trying to chop my hair every few years to get out of the habit, but as soon as it grows out about an inch, it goes up again. Ahh, the life of a busy mom with no time to do her hair!

janae said...

Lindsey - I don't know that either of us were that great at doing our hair even before we had kids. I think we did the knot look nearly every day Freshman year - that is unless we had a date. ;) But motherhood has definitely made it worse. I don't even do my hair for dates anymore! Good call on the contacts. I have some, but my eyes are really dry and I can only wear them for a few hours at a time. Too bad!

Melanie said...

I love the new glasses. They look great. I'm also glad you wear glasses. Sometimes I feel like everybody either wears contacts or has gotten Lasix. I can't do the contact thing because I have issues with touching my eyes and I can't afford Lasix. Besides I like my glasses. Anyway, sorry for the rant. :) Your glasses look great!

ALYN said...

Saturday night my hinge broke. (I'm sure toddler grabs contributed to the demise.) Maybe I'll try tape!

Zenni optical

is a great affordable website to buy glasses, if anyone needs some. My last pair was $50. With lots of upgrades.

Dave and Gina said...

The glasses look nice. We have used Zenni Optical and EyeBuyDirect for getting glasses online and have been really happy. It's a LOT cheaper and then if they break or get lost, it's not so horrible to replace them. The best blog to read about buying glasses online is glassyeyes.blogspot.com.

Caroline said...

That's too bad about not taping them in the middle. You could have been Harry Potter. Now Sam TOTALLY good do that and actually be a look-a-like...have you read Harry Potter? I can't remember. The whole trendy thing...

Jessica said...

I really like the new glasses, they are way cute. I love putting my hair in a ponytail. The last major haircut I got I told the stylist that I wanted it short, but I needed to still be able to put it in a ponytail!

Qait said...

Very cute!!!
With my bad luck for glasses, this website is wonderful:
http://www.zennioptical.com/cart/home.php
if you type "8dollarglasses.com" it will also bring you to that site. The glasses start at $8.00. You have to know what size and all the prescription info, but I'd say that's no problem with a price like that! They have tons of styles.
By the way, I didn't notice your tape. Very smart.
I pull my hair back too; I just don't want it in the way while I think or do things. :)

Qait said...

Oh. I didn't see that someone else mentioned zenni optical! :D
I guess next time I'll read through the comments... :)

janae said...

Caroline - Yeah, I ended up reading them. All but the last one. I was over the hype when it came out, and it had been so many years that I knew I'd have to re-read them all to actually know what was going on in the last one.

Qait - You're fine! It only affirms even more how many people like Zenni!

Sam Ricks said...

I think the pony look is really attractive. ;) And I'm a fan of the fact that we have twinner glasses now.

katieo said...

I like the glasses but what I REALLY want to know is:

is that STUFF on your counter????

Jolie said...

I don't wear glasses myself, but I feel your pain about the breaking glasses since we can't seem to keep Joanna's glasses in one piece for longer than 6 months here.
That girl has worn glasses for nearly 2 years now, and we're already on pair #4. SHE hasn't broken any of them. It's been her sister or friends!
It's a good thing that we have really good insurance because we haven't had to pay for a single pair yet. (knock on wood!)

And no worries about the "mom look". I sport it every day too!! I just feel lucky when I get a shower in.

wheaties said...

not sure if you've ever been told this, but you have an uncanny resemblance to Melissa Joan Hart in these pictures...

Erin said...

Do they still bend okay with tape on them?
I HATED wearing glasses. You could lay on your side on the couch and watch tv, you couldn't swim in them, they were annoying in the rain. I wore my (hard) contacts constantly and would be so grumpy about having to get up and take them out. I think that's why one of our first major purchases as a married couple was lasik for me! Matt was tired of the complaining every night!
-Your new pairs look super cute!
-I'm glad you gave into the hype and read Harry Potter- I hate hype too- especially around books but they are too good to miss and I liked them before the hype so that's how I justify it!

Erin said...

Oh and I'd LOVE to see you IF you end up with a reason to come to Phoenix this summer!!!! Gotta tell you the worst time to come here. As long as I just haven't JUST given birth I'm sure we can squeeze in at least a short visit between all the not sleeping and feedings! Here's my e-mail erinladybug@yahoo.com. If you lose it by then just leave a comment on my blog and I'll give it to you again.

janae said...

Katie - In response, all I gotta say is this: You remember that I don't like stuff on my counters?!! You've got one amazing memory. I can tell you this much, if this were my house all you'd find on the counter is a fruit bowl. :)

Andy - Ha, ha! I used to get that all the time in high school, but I haven't heard it much in the last few years. It makes me feel your for you to say that!

Krishele said...

My question is how can you stand wearing glasses all of the time? I had to do it for 8 months because I ran out of contacts and my Rx had expired and I didn't want to have to pay for another eye exam when the insurance company would in less than a year. Cheap, I know. Granted, the glasses weren't the exact right prescription, but they drove me absolutely nuts!

I couldn't put my eye makeup on and see my face unless I got really close to the mirror and then it would fog up! I kept getting acne right where they rest on the bridge of my nose (ouch.). They would slide down all of the time. Cleaning them all the time. Kids. Rain. You get my picture?

Contact lenses are a very beautiful thing. I have no idea what that my eye doc was talking about when he told me as a kid in high school that I would much rather have glasses!

janae said...

Krishele - I do put my makeup on with my face ridiculously close to the mirror! I had the same acne problem when I was young, but not anymore. And as long as the glasses pads (for the nose) are new, they don't slip. I wore contact for a good decade, but I simply can't do it all the time now. My eyes are naturally super sensitive and dry. Hard contacts (gas permeable, actually) feel like sand in my eyes. Soft contacts can't correct my astigmatism, so my vision is never quite crisp. Either way, after the first couple hours of wearing contacts, I end up needing to put eye drops in every 15-20 minutes. It's such a pain! After that, glasses don't seem so irritating. :)

Babydoll said...

I love both new pair. Way to be rebellious. When my little guy broke my glasses, I went straight for the duct tape, and my hubby was embarrassed when I would wear them. But glasses are expensive. I am glad there are other mother's out there that understand!