Yesterday was Grandma Ricks' funeral. It was, of course, a very bitter sweet event. Bitter because of the loss of someone you love and respect. Sweet because I can't help but love funerals. Now, before you think I'm so morbid, think about it. For that one hour you get to see that person through the most charitable, Christ-like eyes. Everyone who loves them gathers together and speaks of all their most wonderful qualities and traits. What a neat opportunity to get to know the person better!!
The other thing I love about funerals is that all the family gathers together - including distant people from distant places. See, I am making documentaries about each of Samuel's and my grandparents and great-grandparents (as couples, not individuals). That is 4 full docs (appx 1 hour of each grandparent set) and 8 brief docs (appx 30 min of each great set). So to make the docs, I am interviewing all of Samuel's and my aunts, uncles, great-aunts, great-uncles, and grandparents. Its a rather daunting task when you are Mormon and your families are HUGE! Nevertheless, I feel very motivated to do this and I love almost everything about it (except the stress). The wonderful thing for me about this funeral is that I got 10 interviews done in two days - and with a lot of people who live far away enough that I worried they would pass on before I got the chance to speak with them! Okay, so the whole event added a world of stress to my already increasing senility. But how could I turn down this opportunity?! Some of these guys are in their 90s!!
Samuel's grandma was a wonderful person. We lived in her home for a month, and then in her basement apartment for five months, and we grew to love her so much. Grandpa is surely heart-broken to lose his sweetheart, although he is relieved for her to finally be out of so much pain. Grandma found out she had lung cancer last fall, and progressively went downhill until she succumbed last Thursday. We were all relieved to see her suffering end. I am just sure she is as busy as can be in the Spirit World! So, for those who are interested, here is her obituary:
Aretta Newren Ricks passed away on April 24, 2008, at the age of 83 in the presence of her loving family. She was born in Provo, Utah on March 6, 1925, the fifth child of Leon Newren and Clothield Young Newren. The majority of her life was lived in Provo. She attended BY Academy, Timpanogos Elementary and Dixon Junior High, where she was the 9th Grade Class President. She was the valedictorian of her Provo High School graduating class.
She studied microbiology at Brigham Young University, where she met the love of her life, Welby Willis Ricks. They were married in the Salt Lake Temple June 1, 1945. She was the mother of seven children: Stephen (Kathryn) of Minot, ND; John, dec., (Marilynn) Sandy, UT; Timothy (Betsy) Scarsdale, NY; Suanne Jones (Dennis), Mapleton, UT; Cynthia Dayton (Mark), Provo, UT; Mathew (Kaye), Winslow, AZ; and Daniel (Jane), Salt Lake City, UT. She was the grandmother of 35 and great grandmother of 28. All of her 5 sons were Eagle Scouts; 6 of her 7 children served missions; all of her children graduated from college and several obtained graduate degrees. She remembered every birthday and anniversary, and wrote weekly to every child, grandchild, niece, and nephew while they served missions.
She was an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints all of her life. She served in leadership positions in her Church and her community, including as President of the following: Provo School District PTA, March of Dimes (Provo Chapter), Stake Relief Society, Federated Women's Club of Utah (Provo Chapter), Paideia Sorosis, and Ward Primary. As a fine operatic vocalist, she brought music into the lives of all who knew her, including singing with the Madsen Memorial Chorus more than 30 years. She was an accomplished poetess who published and won awards for her works. All who knew her, especially her husband of more than 62 years, will miss her energy, her cheerfulness, her intelligence, and her faithful dedication to Church, family, friends and community.
Sunday, May 4, 2008
Goodbye, Grandma Ricks
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That is interesting...my grandmother was a Newren! I wonder if the grandmothers were related !
Sister Smith
I´m very happy for you.
You family is very beutiful
Love
Lucia Tavares
Post a Comment