Thursday, May 22, 2008

Moving with the Ricks

Starting with last week ...

Wednesday night:
We sleep on the floor. Actually, I slept on a crib mattress. Who knew those were so uncomfortable?!

Thursday: I clean and pack like a nut all day. I have my book club goodbye party at 7pm. I love that book club!! These have become some of my dearest friends. Lets just say that the first book club started at 7pm and ended by 8pm. The last one before this started at 7pm and ended at 10:30pm. That is how much we love each other! We finish packing and end up leaving for my parent's at 1am.

Janell Doyle, Jennifer James, Melody Wulfenstein, me, Pam Raleigh, Jessica McShinsky, and Tracy Griffiths. (The picture needs some work. I'll fix it once I have my computer back up.)
Friday: Samuel drove down to work (an hour commute) for his very last day. I spend the day with my mom running errands and prepping to leave.

Saturday: More errands, more prepping.

Sunday: Samuel leaves at 6am. He stops at 9am in Wyoming to attend church, and then keeps going. He ends up going through Utah, Wyoming, and most of Nebraska. He ends the night in Lincoln, Nebraska at a Motel 6.

An amazing Motel 6 bed spread. Obviously a 5 diamond hotel.

Monday: A few morning errands, and off to the airport by 12:30pm. I have two toddlers, a giant belly, a double stroller, and three large carry ons. I should have taken a picture, but I didn't, so use your imagination. We had a layover in Chicago and arrived at my sister Cara's house in Pittsburgh by 11:30 pm. Samuel finished Nebraska and drove through Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio to arrive in Pittsburgh shortly after me.

Tuesday: My bro-in-law fixed up Elijah's teeth. (Thanks a million, Barry!) Samuel and I spend the day as zombies. Monday was a hard day!!

Wednesday: Both of us feel a ton better. My sister refers to this time as the eye of the storm - we get a small, still, and quiet break before we are thrust back into the tornado of our lives.

Samuel coloring with little Liam (my nephew is named Liam just like my brother)


Seara loves to play alone

She also LOVES to draw

"Mine is green!"

"His is pink!"


Thursday: The kids love being with their cute cousins. And with their dad. In fact, everyone loves Samuel. While Cara ran a quick errand we tended her napping 7 month-old. When Ami woke up I went in to get her and she just broke down. I tried and tried to comfort her, to no avail. Finally Samuel came up to help. Ami reached for him and when he took her she was immediately pacified. Lame. Elijah refused to let me hold or touch him all day. He only wants Sam. I'm serious. My own son won't let me pick him up. He did this yesterday too. What on earth?!

Ethan (3), Ami (7 mo), Hallie (6), Liam (5), Seara (2), Elijah (1)
By the way, we figured out once that all six of these kids could have been born to one mother. They are just barely far enough apart. Isn't that nuts?!


My big sister Cara and I
Friday: Tomorrow morning we leave around 7:30am to drive through the rest of Pennsylvania and on to Maryland. We should arrive at our new apartment by noon. Hopefully we don't get lost. I won't have the internet until Tuesday of next week at the soonest. Do these people not realize that the internet is MY LIFE?! :) Hopefully I can survive!!

9 comments:

Ruth said...

I love the pictures. Very cute kids. I like the one with you and your siste a lot. I'm glad you didn't end up driving out with the kiddos although I'm sure flying pregnant with little ones wasn't easy either. Best of luck in your new area. wink wink :) You're awesome.

Davis Smith said...

I am amazed at how perfectly you guys timed the traveling!!! You both got there Monday night at about the same time - crazy! I'm so glad you all made it to Pittsburgh safely and good luck with the rest of the drive and moving in. (Oh, I love the picture of the bedspread!)

Aubrey said...

I'm glad to hear how you are doing! We've been thinking about you and praying for you.

Margaret and Murray Pratt said...

We are happy to hear how you are doing! I think you are amazing! We are thinking of you! We are praying for you!

Sharalea said...

WOW. you are superwoman! I'm impressed with the organization & grace that you are attacking this move! good luck with the last leg & the adjustments--you'll do great!

Sharalea said...

WOW. you are superwoman! I'm impressed with the organization & grace that you are attacking this move! good luck with the last leg & the adjustments--you'll do great!

Cara said...

It was great having you. We loved your kids. They are so adorable. Good luck with everything. I hope you aren't sleeping on the floor again tonight!

Sarah said...

Hey Janae,
How was the flight? We have been fasting and praying for you guys to be able to get through the madness. You should be in Maryland by now- did you find your apartment okay?
By the way, Seara's haircut is super cute!
Good luck with everything! Personally, I think unpacking is the relieving part. It means the trip is finally over, you know?

Janell said...

I finally remembered your blog address! What an exhausting week (or rather, couple months!). Hope everything out there is going smoothly for you guys. I look forward to updates on your new life!!