Maybe I ought to check everyone's blogs to make sure none of you made these mistakes recently. If you did, I don't know it. Don't take it personally. I may think you're stupid, but I don't hate you. :)
Okay, so does it bother anyone else when people spell or say things incorrectly? Honestly, does it? Here are some of my pet-peeves. What are yours?
Grammar
LOSE/LOOSE - You don't LOOSE weight, but if you do LOSE it your clothes will be LOOSE.
OOPS - You do not spell it OPPS. That would be 'AH-ps' not 'OO-ps'.
IT'S/ITS - IT'S means 'it is'. When something belongs to it, then you say ITS.
CHILI/CHILE - You eat CHILI, you visit CHILE.
Speaking
NUCLEAR - George, the word is not Nu-CU-LAR. It makes me nervous that the leader of the free world who actually has Nu-CLE-AR capabilities cannot even say the word correctly!
SHERBET - Bert is a character in Sesame Street, not a part of the ice cream-like dessert. You pronounce it Sher-BET.
OFTEN - Okay, okay, I do this one. But those of us who pronounce it 'of-ten' are actually wrong. The 't' is silent, you should say 'OF-EN'. Unfortunate, but true.
TIJUANA - You pronounce it TI-juana. They aren't talking about Aunt Juana. (For those of you who do not speak Spanish, 'tia' means aunt.)
ps. Lissa, I know you'll notice if I have typos ... please tell me if I do! How embarrassing to post about being irritated with misspelled and said words, only to do it myself! :)
Friday, February 22, 2008
So I'm Weird. Don't take it personally.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Hilarious. I'm the same way. Another one that bugs me SO much is there/their.
Janae! "Sherbert" has always annoyed the heck out of me. Another one: "across." you do not pronounce it "acrost" the street.
Your blog is great and so much fun to read. Your family is so cute too! why havn't we been in touch more?? That'll have to change!
Yeah, and how about realtor. It's not re-la-tor! It's real estate sold by a real-tor. Or how about patriarchal. Not 'patriotical' or 'patriarticle'. That's a big one with me.
:) We are all the same. :) How about to/too? There are a lot of those. Barry loves to say "sherbert" just to drive me crazy. It's okay though, because I say "toot-sie" like Dad, and that drives him crazy. :)
By the way, you can let Sam know that I would hate shoveling Janae too. :)
well crap janae, now i'm self conscious. truthfully, i read my blogs a day or so later and notice millions of typos...maybe i should stop blogging so late at night. or go back to college.
i've been really struggling with its/it's lately. thanks for helping a sister out.
Okay, I have to add my own. I get really annoyed when people, especially those who are very familiar with military terms, say "CAL-vary" instead of "CAV-alry". Calvary is a hill. Cavalry is a bunch of soldiers on horses.
Have you noticed that for "probably" a lot of people (including me) say "prob-ly"??
Aaah, it felt good to get that out. ;-)
Hey Janae. This is Davis (not Asialene). The one that REALLY REALLY bugs me is "especially" and "expecially." Don't you hear people say that all the time? Drives me nutso!!
This is Barry. I had to add some dental words that are commonly misused in Pittsburgh. First if a child needs to have teeth extracted, the mom will let us know that her son needs abstractions. Secondly, if they have crooked teeth, they don't need braces here, they need bracelets. Nice.
Having been teaching Geometry I've been reminded of one of these word issues that really bugs me. Heighth. Heighth is not a word. It seems so obvious when you write it, but people say it all the time! It's like people get on a roll or something...lenght, width, heighth. Aaah! The word is height. HeighT. With a t at the end, not a th.
Post a Comment