Monday, October 8, 2007

A Favorite Holiday


Is General Conference a holiday to anyone else? Because it is one to me. In fact, it is probably my second favorite holiday (second only to Christmas). I look forward to it for months beforehand, I get so excited! We always have so much fun!! We spend the whole weekend at my parents house, with mission reunions Friday night and Girl's Night on Saturday night (while the all the boys do the traditional male bonding at Priesthood Session and Hires). The whole weekend is full of food, family, and fun. We play games, watch movies, and of course, get eight (ten for the guys) hours of spiritual feasting. It is so fabulous!!


Then, the Monday after Conference weekend, Samuel and I have a General Conference Family Home Evening. We share all our notes with each other and make goals about what we need to do better. Each goal gets written on a post-it note and placed on our bathroom mirror, and we take each goal down as we complete it. We try to get all the goals done before the next General Conference, although right now we each have a couple left from last conference. (I think this time we need to make sure we have concrete goals - because how on earth am I supposed to "Learn everything I possibly can about the atonement" in just six months?! And then there's Samuel's, "Teach Seara by the Spirit" ... how is he supposed to "complete" that one?!) This time we'll try to set goals that can actually be completed! :)

5 comments:

austinamasandra said...

Conference is like the super bowl(sp)of spirituality! We LOVE it! Plus all the food...yummmmmmmm!
That is a great idea to set goals.

Ruth said...

Janae,

You guys are the best! Very cute. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

beijinhos,
Ruth

Sharalea said...

I also love your ideas! Thanks for sharing them. Goals & post-it notes are a great team. We also spent Conference weekend at my parents house & it was so great! Family & Spiritual feasting--definitely a special holiday.

Asialene said...

YES, I love Conference and look forward to it as well. Two of my favorite talks were by Sister Beck and Elder Oaks. I'm sure that has something to do with what I needed to hear -- I felt like they were speaking directly to me! You guys are so good to make specific goals and work on them. I'm going to steal your post-it note idea.

Jenna Baker said...

Never thought of it like that! Yes, I LOVE conference. I filled up over half of a composition notebook this past weekend. Its just so much fun :) And if you really listen, prepare before hand, and apply what you learn in your life... Well, you can get a whole heck of a lot out of conference. Its like a total spiritual boost of a weekend!! I like your idea for goals on the mirror. I may have to advise a similar idea (of course my whole family uses the bathroom and knowing my luck they'd be down in a week).

Thanks for blogging.. you are adorable, i love your family :)