Thursday, June 23, 2011

Moderately to Severely Lame

I overheard this conversation the other day and it seems to be a good lead into life right now.

Elijah: [pretending to be a baby reaching to Enoch] Mama!
Enoch: [in a "you're so silly" sort of voice] I'm not your mommy, or daddy, or grandpa, or grandma, or Liam!
Ha ha. He says it as if 'a Liam' is something everyone has. My poor, poor children.  I'm not sure what we're gonna do without him. If not for Liam, my kids wouldn't have painted eggs this year. (Or ever.)  I mean well, I really do. But I just never seem to get around to pumpkin carving or egg dying or firework ... doing. But this year I swear we're gonna use those sparklers I bought two years ago.  Just cuz Liam is off to BYU and then his mission, and without him, my awesomeness as a mother goes down at least 60%. No. Actually, my awesomeness stays the same (moderately to severely lame). It's just my children's quality of life that will suffer.

Exhibit A. What I did for Easter. Come down Sunday morning, find a Liahona (compass) and a map of directions.  Follow them to your hidden baskets.  (I had a friend in Maryland who only gave her kids Sunday stuff on Easter so they had an amazing collection of Jesus/scripture-related toys, books, movies, games, etc. to play with on the Sabbath. Thought I'd try it this year.)


Exhibit B. What Liam did for Easter. Die eggs with kids.  Make snorkel dudes.

Just guess which thing the kids forgot about the second it was over, and which they talked about for weeks, begging to repeat.

Yup.  We're missing Liam like crazy 'round these parts.

11 comments:

Cara said...

The liahona is so cool! That's something I've always wanted to get. And I think your thing was very cool. Liam's was very cool too. You guys are a good pair. Too bad he isn't sticking around.

Paige said...

I LOVED "I spy a nephite" growing up!

Melanie said...

I need a Liam. Although I love your idea for Easter. I'm going to steal that one. :)

Kelli said...

Those snorkel dudes are so cute! I could use a Liam around here! My poor kids are always so bored and I'm just so lazy to think of or clean up after fun things...

Jennifer J said...

Liam is going to BYU this fall? So is Sarah! And she NEEDS a Liam. Heading off to pray that they will end up in the same adorable student ward...

janae said...

Jennifer - Okay, wouldn't that be hilarious if we ended up related?! Yeah. Awesome. BTW, I'm working on recruiting my bro & sis'n'law to come do the 10K dirty dash in September. Can't wait!

Qait said...

That is SO cute!!!

Liam said...

(: you really have to give yourself more credit! Your an awesome mom! But thanks for all the wonderful things you say about me!! Love ya!

Krishele said...

uh...looks like I need a Liam too. My rating of awesomeness is almost high enough to rival yours.

Babydoll said...

What a great uncle. Those snorkel dudes are pretty awesome, but what is more awesome is the fact that Liam did them with your kids. I'd be missing him too!

Stephen and Debbie said...

The eggs look SO awesome!!! :)