Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Thousand Words

Our stake president is married to President Faust's daughter, which makes him all the more formidable to folks like me. But, he's a dear friend to my parents, so he knows and seems to like my little family. Well, a few weeks ago we had ward conference*.  The stake president sat contentedly on the stand, watching as people filed in.  He looked down to our row, saw my dad, and smiled.  As his eyes moved down the row, he smiled greetings to my mom, to Liam, to me, and to my kids.  Then he hit Sam, and his face changed. The friendly smile morphed into perplexed concern. He was worried. You could see it on his face.

Unfortunately, this is not an usual reaction to Sam's recent "homeless" look.  I keep telling him he should just wear a skull cap.  He says that would be sacrilegious.  I shrug. Whatever.

After letting the stake president worry for a couple weeks (not intentionally), I finally emailed him an explanation and an on-set picture.  This was his reply:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  Now I understand Janae.  Sam might put a lot of concern to rest if he would wear “this garb” to church.  But then again… he might create more concern if he were to wear “this garb” to church! :) He looks great!
President Smith
So, if you too are worried that Sam has fallen off the face of the earth, delved into deep depression, or gone completely rebellious, you are mistaken.  He has simply converted to Judaism.  Here are your thousand words:

This is my favorite picture.  All these 1st century AD Jews on laptops and smartphones. :)


*Our congregations are called wards.  Several congregations (usually 6-10) together make up a stake.  For ward conference our stake leaders visit and do various lessons and training meetings. Although the stake president's last name is Smith, he is in no way related to my family.  Well, except maybe through Adam and Noah.

10 comments:

Karen said...

I love the "Bible people" with their books, laptops, water bottles, too! That's petty funny. Also funny how the Stake President seemed so concerned.

Cara said...

So cool!!!!

janae said...

Karen - Thanks for appreciating that. Not everyone seems to think it's as funny as I think it is, so it's nice to know I'm not alone. :)

Melanie said...

Sam looks great in his 'garb'. When I was reading this, I first thought the stake president just thought "who's that? I can't be a Smith, no blond hair/blue eyes." Just wanted to share that, I thought it was funny!

Krishele said...

I think it is hilarious!!! Jason laughed pretty hard when he read this post. Oh how we miss you guys...you'd be even more entertaining to hang around with Sam looking as he does.

I can't believe that President Smith is still the Stake President. He interviewed Jason & I for our marriage. He's a great guy.

janae said...

Krishele - Rumor has it he's being released this year. Not that I spread rumors or anything. ;)

Aubrey said...

These photos are neat. Nice to have some context for his latest style. ;-)

I laughed at all the laptops too. Funny.

That Girl said...

SO AWESOME!!!! Love it.

janae said...

Aubrey - It does give the beard context, doesn't it? In fact, he looks much more normal in this outfit than he does in a white shirt, full suit, and tie. He looks kooky in that one right now! :)

Sam Ricks said...

I look awesome in that garb.