Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Traitor

I was nine the very first time I got cold. We had recently moved to Utah, and I went trick-or-treating longer than I should have gone. When I finally got home, I dropped my loot, laid on the couch, and cried for an hour. I had never felt pain like that before.

See, for the first ten years of my life we lived in the tropics. In Puerto Rico the record cold temperature is 60 degrees. It's never once been in the 50s since they started recording. Never. The average temp the entire year is in the 80s. Same for the Dominican Republic. In Ecuador it does get into the 50s late at night, but the average temp throughout the year is in the 60s and 70s. Honestly, how could you expect a child who grew up like that to EVER like snow and cold?! You can't. And I don't.


But I have a confession to make: I'm a traitor to all my fellow cold-haters. My parents have a cabin east of Heber, and guess what?

I prefer the cabin in the winter time.

I know. Despicable. But there is something so appealing about coming in from snow shoeing or sledding, and cozying up in a warm blanket with a cup of hot chocolate! Plus, you've never sled until you've done it on slick cabin roads, down steeps hills, for half a mile. You just keep going and going. It's like you're flying!




Yup, I'm a traitor to my kind. I'm starting to like snow.

10 comments:

Melanie said...

After the last post I thought for sure you would be a snow hater for life.

I might need to look into moving south of the boarder...average temperature 80. That is my kind of weather.

Krishele said...

I don't mind snow if I'm dressed appropriately and playing in it or I'm inside watching it. Other than that, I'm not an extreme weather person. I'd prefer 60s and 70s year round.

I don't do hot summers either.
I know, I'm a wimp when it comes to temperature.

janae said...

Krishele - As a kid I loved hot summers. You know, 90s every day. (None of this 100+ stuff like in Phoenix - YUCK.) But now that I'm older, I think I'm becoming more of a wimp too. Except, apparently, for playing in the snow.

Paige said...

I hate snow. I've never really lived in it, but from my experience snow is only fun for, like, an hour. Max. Although I DO love the cold. Can I live where it's super-cold without ever having any snow?

janae said...

Paige - Let me think about that. I've been plenty of frigid places with no snow, but it was only temporary. Maryland only snowed twice when we lived there, but DANG it was cold. DC too. Maybe there?

Sam Ricks said...

I love the photos. I also love snow! And I usually like it for more than an hour.

Cara said...

hate to break it to you...but remember the time you (and I) had hypothermia? It was before you were nine. But that was obviously extreme circumstances, and not the norm. I struggle with cold. I *hate* being cold. HATE. I have yet to really experience the cabin in winter. I'm a bit of a wimp, obviously.

Tera said...

YOUR CRAZY! I like the first snow and never the last because here it is in April. Snow is cold and wet and cold and wet and slippery and slippery. But way to embrace the cold, wet and slippery.

Qait said...

Snow is fun--if there's hot cocoa waiting when I'm done!
I'm pretty sure I like all weather but in moderation. I love each season, and I even love small periods of extreme weather (but not extensively).
When I dream of settling somewhere, if I were to get "extreme" about anything, I'd take extra rain. :)

janae said...

Cara - oh yeah. We had hypothermia. BAD. I was seven. You know what, though? That was such an extreme near death case that I kinda block it from the realm of normal experience. It needs a category of its own. Plus, by those stages of hypo you are crazy. Which we were. So I never cried and hardly remember feeling pain. I just though charging bulls were my friends. Which, parenthetically, I vividly remember thinking.