Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Marshmallow Test

"Can I do the Marshmallow Test on your kids?" my brother Liam asked me half an hour ago.
"What?"
"The Marshmallow Test! You know, from this:"

"Ooooh. Sure."




He just got done. Here's how they did:

Enoch: Since he's only two (the experiment was on four year-olds), Liam only put him in the room for five minutes (instead of fifteen). In those five minutes Enoch didn't move an inch. He sat stone still. He got his second marshmallow.
Elijah: He's four, so he got the full fifteen minutes. He spent his time "watching the marshmallow." He waited 14 minutes before he gave in and ate it. He was devastated and begged to try again.
Seara: She's five, and also got the full fifteen. She spent her time rolling around on the floor and distracting herself.  She waited handily and got the second marshmallow.

I need to come up with more experiments to do on my kids, that was funny!

12 comments:

Jenna Baker said...

Very proud of your kids! Poor Elijah!.... Poor kid, so close, so so close.

Bekah said...

Uchdorf said the test was for "15 minutes or so". Dontcha think 14 minutes could fall under that category. ~ Layne

janae said...

Layne - Ha, ha! I actually did think that. Liam and I were on our way to the room to get Elijah when he came up the stairs announcing he had eaten it. It's too bad we didn't go 30 seconds earlier and catch him before he resolve weakened!

Qait said...

Aw, I'm still proud of Elijah. That's awesome. I really want to do that for a FHE thing some time! I wonder if Ender would get it...he's almost 3...

Caroline said...

When I first saw the title of the blog, I thought it was going to be like the "Chubby Bunny" test. I think that should be the next one.

Stephen and Debbie said...

So if I were given this experiment I think I would fail! I love me some marshmallows!!!
-Debbie

Cara said...

I've been wanting to do that test on my kids since I first saw it! Very interesting results. :)

janae said...

Caroline - I first thought of Chubby Bunny when Liam asked to do the Marshmallow Test, too. But I get plenty of chances to hear the kids talk with their mouths stuffed to overflowing. They're pretty good. :)

Erin said...

That is so cool! I love stuff like that! I remember reading about this in child psychology in college. I had a whole bunch of tests I had to do on some kids for that class. I'll have to dig them out and pass them on. They were interesting- like length and number perception, how you can tell their development based on how detailed and accurate they draw their self portraits.

Jolie said...

seriously? your kids WAITED?? Are you sure your kids are human?! hehehehe
j/k
I guess I say that because I know that if I do this test on my kids, I can already tell you that they're all going to take one look at me thinking, 'yeah right, mom.' and then proceed to wolf down the marshmallow. ;-)
They are filled with my DNA which means that the poor things have NO will power. :-P
Mmm, it's got me curious, though. I wonder if they'd prove me wrong!

Sam Ricks said...

Too bad we didn't film it.

Next time! :)

Krishele said...

That's really funny. Enoch seems like he'd be able to wait. Not sure why, but he strikes me as that kind of person...maybe cause he looks so much like your dad.

Speaking of looks. I didn't even recognize that picture of Sam until I read the name (on the comment above). Holy smokes! I heard the shoot got delayed. My mom told me that she really thinks he looks the part for sure. How funny. I wonder what kind of looks he gets from people throughout his day.