Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Stalker Song


I still remember the first time I heard the song Every Breath You Take by The Police. I was driving down 7800 South, just past the light at 10th East. At first the song was just catchy. But the more I listened, the more my stomach churned. "This guy is a total stalker!" I thought. The song completely freaked me out. And I've hated it ever since.

Well, a few weeks ago I was talking to my 22 year-old brother Tyler, and somehow The Stalker Song (as I've affectionately referred to it for the last decade plus) came up. And guess what? Tyler said he loved it! I was grossed out.

So today I was driving down the freeway and suddenly I heard it: ♫ Da da na na na na na na ♫ ... Oh yeah. The Stalker Song. Just as I was about to change the station, I remembered Tyler. I decided to give the song another chance. And guess what? It's even more creeper than I remember. It could curdle milk inside my stomach. Ew.

Alright, so here's the question: Are you with me or are you with Tyler?


25 comments:

Cara said...

Okay. I totally agree with you. And the video makes it ten times worse. Especially when he turns and looks right at the camera when he says it. Yikes! I'm going to have nightmares!

Melanie said...

I agree with you! The video makes it even worse! He really is creepy. Confirmed...stalker song.

Brian said...

I had never really thought about it until I read a book that pointed it out. In the book, someone sent a record of the song to someone else that they were trying to creep out (leaving no return address). Ever since then, I can't help but think "Stalker Song" when it comes on the radio.

So I'm with you on that one...but I do think its a catchy song and won't change the station when it does come up ;-)

Kyle Pratt said...

I'm conflicted, because the tone of the song isn't creepy at all, but the music video is creepy, like the window washer guy...

I have to say that the song isn't creepy & that I like it.

There's a real stalker song by the group Inside Out, based off of "So Happy Together." Also the song "If I was Invisible" that the guy Clay Aiken from American Idol sang, that's a creepy song. This song = less creepy.

Jennifer J said...

I'm conflicted. It's creepy, but I wouldn't mind at all if Sting chose to stalk me. He could sing that song to me any day. Edward, on the other hand, is definitely a creepy stalker.

janae said...

Kyle - Oh yeah, that Invisible Clay Aiken song is COMPLETELY creepy. I'm definitely with you on that one! I haven't heard the Inside Out song, I'll have to look it up (during daylight hours). :)

The Pingels said...

Actually, a little trivia for you, it was never meant to be a love song, it is actually about stalking! But not love stalking, government stalking. Sting wrote it about "Big Brother" i.e. big government, watching our every move. So you are partly right in your feelings of creepishness. But I do actually like the song. :)

janae said...

Linds - Seriously?!?

Kelli said...

I thought of the stalker-ness with Clay Aiken's song too, but I never really thought about this song that way. Though...now I will. Thanks. They remade it into an r & b one. At least that one sounds a little better...kinda...

janae said...

Kelli - I actually don't mind the R&B one. I'm okay with someone constantly thinking about and missing someone who is dead. It's not nearly so creepy as someone living always watching you. Ew.

K said...

This is so funny! I actually heard of a couple using this song at their wedding! (I think they did not have the same take on it as you!) Look at Sting’s face on the album cover and imagine him saying, "I’ll be watching you!"

Ha ha ha!

Natalie said...

I definitely think the song is catchy and I've never really paid enough attention to the words to realize that its creepy. It's easy to discover how creepy it is with the music video though! So yes, I agree its creepy, but I also like the song--if I don't think too much about whats being said. Haha.

Babydoll said...

I have found that I sing along with the song if it is on the radio. Then I remember what song it is and think "what am I doing? I hate this song!" It is a pretty creepy song.

Cara said...

Okay...I just have to say that I disagree about the Clay Aiken song. I don't think that one is creepy or stalker at all. And that's really interesting that this song is about Big Brother. Makes sense (and is a little less creepy) when you know that.

Cara said...

fyi- I just looked up the song on wikipedia...the Big Brother thing is partly true. But it was more about stalking (on purpose) and was written while he was divorcing his wife. Back to creepy.

The Pingels said...

Hey, I just looked up "Every breath you take" on wikipedia, and it says he was thinking of big government when he wrote it, but that it is supposed to be about unrequited love and stalking the one you lost. Take a look at it online, its pretty interesting.

Tera said...

It does have a good beat and honestly I never paid attention to the words. So I am on both of your sides.

Krishele said...

More creeper? Is that really what you meant to say or did you get so carried away in your passionate expression of opinion that your fingers just couldn't type right? te he. I love teasing you about grammar mistakes, cause I know you're as uptight about it as I am. :)

Oh and yes, I've never liked the song. It has always kind of bugged me for that exact reason.

janae said...

Krishele - First, your ps completely bust me up! SO FUNNY! Second, I did indeed mean to write more creeper. Because the word "creeper" is now used as an adjective, and therefore can now be "more creeper." If I were writing about something serious or proper I wouldn't use it. But stalking deserves slang. :)

Kori said...

I never thought of it that way but I agree that it does sound like a stalker song. Interesting what one of the comments said about the government watching us.

Mary Catherine Blackburn said...

I totally agree with you... it's totally a creepy song!!! Eek!

That Girl said...

Okay - hiLARious. My favorite station has played this song a good ten times this week and every time I listen to it, it freaks me out. Believe it or not, I have a similar post in my draft box. But now I don't have to post it- you said it so much better. ;o)

Virginia said...

I grew up in the 80s and I LOVE THAT SONG! Although, I can totally see your point about being a stalker song. Sorry, though, still love it.

Qait said...

So, I may be wrong, but I've always heard that the song was SUPPOSED to be about a stalker, but it was so popular (because people thought it was pretty...and sweet? I don't know) that they kind of revised it and made it more of a...um...love song.
That's what I've always heard.

And I have be honest: I kind of like it. :D

Jenna Baker said...

CREEPY. Look at that guy! He just screamss creeeeeepy! But then again, the song is cute, in a creepy way. Ha ha.