When I open my mouth, I'm never sure what's going to come out. Apparently, my mouth runs independently of my other motor functions. The entire time I'm talking, alarms are going off in my brain, not unlike those you hear in those submarine movies.It is unfortunate that there is no editing and deleting of the spoken word. When I talk, I am an interested bystander wondering what this idiot is going to say.
Oh, no, words are coming out!
When I am standing outside myself watching me talk, my brain sends warning signals to my mouth that usually arrive way too late: ABORT! ABORT!
(Doug Robinson, Me on TV: It's a frightful combo)
It's so nice to know that I'm not alone in the world. Seriously. The alarms, the out-of-body listening, I know exactly what he's talking about.

9 comments:
I am exactly the same way! Somehow I wish I could just magically change this quality of mine. It was nice to meet/see you Saturday.
Kori - Yeah, I've wished I could change it magically as well. As is, I'm stuck trying to find that perfect balance between being myself and being Christ-like. It's HARD. :)
ps. it was so nice to see you, as well! Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy day to humor me!
this is soooo me. i must say that i have become much better in my old age. but those teenage years...brutal.
I think I'm slowly improving, at a turtle's pace, in this realm of my life, but we ALL have our moments.
amen!! I could tell you exactly what my foot tastes like because it's in my mouth at least once a day. ;-)
You know, and I love you for it. I can always count on you for an HONEST opinion. :)
Krishele - For the record, when someone asks me for an opinion, it never DAWNS ON ME to lie. I figure if they ask, they really want to know. Who knew that most people do otherwise??
Oh no, me too! But my alarm bells are late sometimes, and I don't even realize until two days later or something that I might have been offensive. Oh dear.
Qait - I understand completely!! In fact, sometimes it's years later that I have these flashbacks and realize that I said something terribly stupid. It's awful. But at least I'm not alone! :)
Post a Comment