They say that when it rains, it pours. I guess Seara's ER trip was just the beginning ...
image from here
When we moved here from Maryland Sam left all his art supplies in storage. We had the laptop so he could do digital art, and we figured that was good enough. But suddenly the laptop battery stopped keeping charge, so you had to keep it plugged in all the time. Then it started randomly losing free space - in one night it went from 20GB to 20MG. Once that was fixed it stopped recognizing the power plug. That, unfortunately, was not fixable. So to use it now you have to hold the plug in as hard as you can with your left hand and type with just your right. Needless to say, we bought Sam a new computer.
Then there's the whole job thing. Or lack of a job thing. My friend Melissa's husband calls it "self unemployed operating an unintentional non-profit organization." But I recently read that for each 10K you want, you should plan on spending one month job hunting. So if you want $50,000/yr job, plan to search about 5 months. Sounds good to me. The longer we're here the better. I'm shooting for at least a year or more. ;)
Okay, okay, back to serious things ... the car. We knew something was wrong when we left Maryland. We just didn't expect the mechanic here in Utah to tell us that it was a miracle that we made it across the country alive! And that we had to get a whole new transmission. Three weeks later we had to replace the entire clutch. (That's what we get for riding it.) A week after that the check-engine light went on. And couple weeks later we started leaking oil. All that only made it that much funnier when a riding lawn mower ran into my parked car last week at the playground. Yes, you read that correctly. A riding lawn mower ran into my parked car. At that point I couldn't help but laugh!
They say that it's always darkest before the dawn. Well we surely haven't hit darkest yet, so bring it on. I'm ready for the dawn!


18 comments:
That is seriously pretty amazing. I bet that doesn't happen everyday...a riding lawn mower crashing into a parked car. It would be just the kind of thing I would do. Good thing I never drove a riding lawn mower.
Wow.
Here's to hoping your dawn comes sooner than later (and that your $$ numbers match up with your months of sacrifice!).
Yikes, sorry about all the misfortune. I hope that riding lawn mower had insurance. :)
That reminds me of when I ran my moms car into a piano. Not fun. I hope your car heals itself soon or a nice and shiny new car miraculously finds its way into your garage, with a big green bow on top. One that matches your nice new paycheck you'll get for your months of looking for a job.
Wish you the best.
Yeah, we paid for a whole new transmission in my "new" car a few years back, only to have Allen total it a month later... I feel for ya. And a lawn mower? Really? Wow, who was the genius driving that one?
Who knew lawn mowers could get into traffic accidents?
Melanie & Kelli - It was an employee of Draper City that did it, so the city is covering everything. They were really nice about it, thank heavens!
We had to replace the transmission in our van recently--not cheap! I'm glad you could laugh about the lawn mower--and that it was the city that did it, so they could take care of it!
Crazy, huh? hang in there. Hey, how do I email you? I have some thoughts and ideas that I am sure you have already thought of for Sam. Oh...and the Super mom thing...have you tried TIE DYE? That is on my next thing to-do with the kids....but only outside...far away from the inside....far, far, far away from the inside......email me...
You are too funny! I like how creative you are in the way of positive thinking. Is the glass always half full for you?:) To continue with the car theme, ours too needed some attention--whoever heard of a service tune up dealy at 90,000 miles? I never learned that in college, and I do not ever learning it from my parents. It's great though the new vocabulary I picked up this last week since I was 18,000 miles over a "tune up". Timing, serpentine belt, water pump, transmission fluid, brakes, pads, rotors and calipers, EFI service, and some more flushes and spark plugs! It's also amazing how one auto shop can differ in price and also negotiations. That was fun! :)The auto business is the place to be in--maybe Sam could moonlight. ??:) I do have to admit though, we have not gotten hit by a lawn mower--thanks for the laugh and good luck!
So, how many months have you been there already? That counts, doesn't it?
I hope things get better for you. I hate it when it pours.
Oh my oh my. That is scary. Holy tolitos. And to think I drove that car ;) Haha. Well, good luck. Hope ya don't get struck by lightening.
I'm glad you made it across the country alive. By the way.
What in the world happened to your Mac? I thought you swore by those things...how old was it? Did you buy a new Mac or try a PC? You can't tell that I'm being a fence-sitter about the whole computer thing. Sorry your broke though. Quirky computers stink.
And the riding lawn mower....? Too bad you didn't get a video of it so you could send it in to AFV and get some cash out of it. Seriously, what was the dude "driving" it doing? Oh, let me guess, texting his girlfriend or should I say "gf" trying to convince her not to break up with him or something lame like that. Yeah, don't get me started on texting...hey maybe that can be a subject for one of your posts...that will spark a lot of emotion!
Sorry, went off on a tangent there. But that is pretty crazy! Hopefully gray skies are gonna clear up soon.
Must be the season, that's all I'm gonna say! Good thing you have a good sense of humor (I'm seriously trying to improve my atitude). Remember "tudo vai dar certo"! I truly believe it!
Just a sugestion: you and Sam should write a book together. He can do all the drawing(sp) and you can tell the story, you are a talented story teller and I think you'd do GREAT!!!!! :)
Rachel - It's been three months. And you're right, that DEFINITELY counts!
Krishele - Our mac was just old. About 6 1/2 years, which is amazing for a computer. Never gave us an ounce of trouble until now! We used it about twice as often as laptops are supposed to be used, and with tons of heavy duty programs that laptops shouldn't normally handle (Sam is an artist, after all! We really should have had a desktop with a huge memory for what he did). The thing was definitely used and abused! So yes, we got another mac. It's a 24 inch desktop and it is AMAZING. Yeah, I'm in love. You should definitely choose this side of the fence. It took me a year or so to convert, but I'll never go back! ;)
A riding lawn mower? Really? Wow. Hang in there!
Have you ever seen Gilmore Girls? There's an episode where she's failing a class so she studies all week into the wee hours then wakes up late the day of the test. She quickly drives to school but on the way she's stopped and she's hit BY a deer. Reminded me of this. It does seem like everything seems dark at once. Good luck with everything! At least you now have a beautiful new computer!
Post a Comment