Friday, July 24, 2009

Okay, okay, I'll admit it

My Spanish Fork book club ... I still drive down to it each month. Love these ladies!
Confession: I like Young Adult and Juvenile literature. I don't like the adult stuff. I don't like the long stuff. I don't like the incredibly detailed stuff. I like my stories short, sweet, and to the point. Like 200-300 pages. The kind I can sit down and read in one (very long) sitting.

Don't get me wrong. I read the big stuff. So I can be smart. And so my brain doesn't shrink. And I'll admit that I enjoyed Anna Karenina, Les Miserables, Tale of Two Cities, and such. But I didn't love them.

Now these I loved ...

Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
Mrs. Mike by Benedict & Nancy Freedman
Beauty by Robin McKinley
The Chronicles of Narnia (specifically The Magician's Nephew) by C. S. Lewis
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

16 comments:

Katie said...

Janae, you are my kindred spirit. I love reading child/young adult fiction books. And LOVED Book of a Thousand Days. :)

Cara said...

Ahhhh...books. Such heaven. I love it all, I think. Though I have to say that Man's Search for Meaning is a pretty deep read. Not comparable, in my mind, to Shannon Hale and the like. But maybe that's just me. You should read North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. Not quite young adult, but probably one of my favorite books EVER!

Erin said...

Me too! Me too! Adult books have to have something "adult" in them. I do love Les Miserables and Pride and Prejudice etc. but modern adult books I can hardly stand sometimes. My favorite YA books (I know I've told you some of these before) Walk Two Moons, Ella Enchanted, Holes, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Bud Not Buddy, I could go on... most of them are listed on my blog though!

Sam Ricks said...

I love YA books! My favs (at least that come to mind): Stargirl and anything by Roald Dahl.

Ruth said...

aren't you looking cute. thanks for sharing!

Jessica said...

I am so with you on that! I agree with Sam- Roald Dahl is an amazing author.

Babydoll said...

I LOVE these kind of books too. I love that we are alike in this way. Sometimes I feel like I should read "grown-up" books more often, but I don't usually love them. I also try and read longer, harder books, just to keep my brain working, but I prefer Harry Potter, books by Lois Lowry, and many of the other books mentioned.

Rachel Sue said...

Loved beauty. Have you read Julie of the Wolves? I really enjoyed that as well.

steph said...

Amen to that! I never heard of that Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale. I must add that to my reading list!
Yeah, I very much relate to what you said. Sometimes I feel embarrassed that I have all these juvenile books on my goodreads, but i can't help it... I love them!

Kelli said...

Looks like noone's going to argue with you on this one, and neither will I. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to say most of the books I've read are "young adult" books, but I just love them so much more than most adult ones. Plus, teens are so... well, I think there are some that feel more like rated R movies in the teen section than they should, so they're really like adult books, but funner and easier to read. I don't have the time or ability to sit and think a long time about things in books, so it's best to just read the light, simple ones. :)

janae said...

Ha! I love this. I'm not alone in the world. What a great feeling! :)

heidizinha said...

why aren't we friends on goodreads yet?

peter and the starcatcher series...great!

boy in the stripped pajamas, also great!

i only seem to finish the young adult books. other one's sit on my bed side table for years until i get sick of looking at them and put them away.

xoxo

heidizinha said...

and i meant ones. didn't you have some nasty grammar lesson about that once?

BrookieT said...

Omigoodness- I love Shannon Hale too! Something magic about her books. I'm with you all the way with the shorter than 1000 page books.

janae said...

Heidi - ha, ha! I did, and in fact, we've been talking about that over here lately. My problem isn't so much with accidental typos, but with people who really don't know that you spell the word genes v. jeans. I guess that's mean, though. I'll go repent now. :)

Krishele said...

Someday I'll get back to reading...