Now that we're back in Utah I'm determined to take Sam around to all my favorite spots around the state. Ones that you should probably go to as well. Just because they ROCK.
DONUT FALLS
The last time Sam and I went up Big Cottonwood Canyon was when we were dating. But by the way he gawked over how gorgeous it was this time, you'd have thought he'd never been up there before. According to Sam, the canyon is "the most beautiful place I've ever seen in Utah."
Big Cottonwood five years ago - the first time Sam met my brothers Trenton & Davis

Let's just establish that I (janae) am a big wimp. I love outdoorsy stuff, but I'm a complete wuss. (My asthma doesn't exactly help the situation, but that's besides the point.) THAT is why I love Donut Falls. The hike is rated moderate, but it is only 1/2 mile. I can do anything for 1/2 mile. Apparently Sease and Lije can too, since they walked the entire way.
The Donut Falls hike is beautiful all year round. Spring and summer have tons of wild flowers, autumn has amazing colors. And if you're feeling really adventurous, you can come in the winter and show shoe up to the falls. Love doing that, too.
One of Seara's favorite parts of the hike was this miniature rock wall. She scaled it by herself. You know she's part monkey, right? Just like Elijah is part fish.
When you get to the fall you have to cross the river. There are logs you can balance on and the water is really shallow, but your feet may get wet. Just warning ya.
Now, if we didn't have kids we'd have scaled the falls. If you do, you can get up to this view. You can actually walk in the cavern and go behind the fall. Amazing.
If you go up above the fall, you can see the donut. There is a beautiful wild flower field up at the top, and it is pretty secluded since most people don't dare go this high. If you go just as a couple, this is the perfect spot for a romantic picnic.
But, we DO have kids. And we didn't scale to the top. So we just had a picnic in a clearing along the way. Next best thing. The whole hike, picnic included, only took a couple hours. PERFECT. I love Utah.

12 comments:
Janae, you are so gorgeous. I love your hair right now. The hike seems super fun and really pretty. What a great thing to do as a family.
(p.s. Did Davis really have hair 5 years ago? ;)..)
Looks like you guys had a blast. This is something I need to do. I've never hiked Donut Falls before.
Nat - ha, ha! I didn't even notice Davis' hair. I forgot he used to have some! :)
Mel - are you serious?? You've never been there?! Okay, now you HAVE to go. Maybe if you come up here while I'm still around we'll go together!
bummer that we didn't get to do this while we were there. Next time. Looks like you guys had a great time!
We're so going. TOMORROW.
ok. maybe not tomorrow tomorrow. But SOON. I'm determined to do all free fun things in Utah before school starts.
Looks like fun. Go you for taking your family on so many adventures.
Not sure how I ever came across or was introduced to your blog, but I ust want to tell you, you and your family are so cute and amazing!! I love to read about all your adventures and traveling. I thought I would leave you a message today because I am also from UT and LOVE the mtns as you do. When I saw you and your kids on this trail I was wondering where exactly it is? I would also like to take my kids up there and show them this, it is beautiful. I would love to take family pics here to remember it. Your family is so cute! Thanks for all your uplifting stories!!
Kelly - thank you! I'm glad you introduced yourself. I don't mind comments from strangers but it really weirds me out if they act like I should know them and never mention who they are! :)
Okay, to get to Donut Falls head 9 miles into Big Cottonwood Canyon. At about 9 miles you should see a large parking area complete with a brown bathroom building on your right side (I think it's called the Jordan Pines Picnic area). It's the only large lot/bathroom place up the entire canyon. You'll turn right down the paved road, and will promptly come to a fork where you'll see a sign for Donut Falls pointing to the right. That will take you straight to the Donut Falls parking lot. The trail is well marked from there. Good luck!
I am still jealous of this wonderous hike. It seems so so great. I will have to go one of these days. Maybe you should go again, and I'll take the baby, and we can make it an adventure.
ps. Sorry I am so obsessed with your baby. But come on! Take one look at the precious little one and can you help it?! No, I think not.
Any how, your family is just the greatest, and your children are adorable. I loved these pictures.
Ohhhh, the history I have with Donut Falls. That's a Doozie! I snow-shoed up there with Steve Moore once...that was the day that I found out he had a big ol' crush on me. Looking back, I must say I'm flattered. We was quite the stud.
Hiked there with Dustin and Nicole and her date (don't remember who that was) before he actually got me to start liking him...that was an awkward hike, too, come to think of it.
Perhaps, next time I'm in Utah and down for a hike, I'll take my fam. Hopefully there won't be any awkward situations involving them. But, I won't hold my breath, I do have a 5 yr old & a 3 yr old (well almost). You never know what they could have in store. :)
Yup! This was a beautiful spot! Loved it!
What a unique waterfall. I want to do that hike. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment