I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. I really couldn't. If you were around me during my getting pregnant, giving up my Master's, post-graduation stress, you'll understand.
See, during my last semester of college, my Children's Development professor shared a study put out by _________ (fill in big school name here ... Harvard, Stanford, I don't remember) that showed that stay-at-home moms actually decreased in intelligence during the time they stayed home. Now, you'd think that since we're at BYU she'd be sharing that to refute its claims. No. She said it was true - and then pulled out one of those IQ studies that show that while your IQ is stable over your life time, it actually fluctuates depending on the life circumstances, and that the lowest point for mothers is during the time that they are staying at home with their children. (Her point was that while motherhood is wonderful and divine, we need to continue to develop our minds while we are at home. But I think I missed the point at that time.)
Okay, so I was already worried about becoming stupid, but this just made it worse. Now I was petrified. So there I am, a university graduate, nursing my little two week old, and reading Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, and every news outlet I could possibly access (this is when my love of the news began). All in an attempt to stay somewhat intelligent. But, I kept getting pregnant (heck, come July I will have a 2 year-old, 1 year-old, and a newborn!) and we all know how forgetful and dopey pregnant women are. So, now I've pretty much reached the point where I try not to think about this stuff.
But then I saw this on someone's blog ... and I couldn't resist. Its supposed to tell you 'what level of education is required to understand your blog'. I kept telling myself, "If you're at a middle school level, you're okay. If you're at a high school level, you are smart. You're fine, Janae. You're fine." So I did it and up pop the results:
--------------------
Well, if you're worried about me being proud, worry no more. I was just deflated a bit. Demoted to Cloud 7. I don't know why, but I decided randomly to check my older sister's blog to see what level she is at. I guess I'm not a genius. I didn't realize there was a genius level, but now I know there is. Maybe I should put bigger words in my post. How about this one: pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. It's a lung disease that you get from inhaling the small particles of dust found in volcanoes. I knew that off the top of my head (and I can pronounce it too, thanks to hours of practice as a 14 year-old). Take that, Cara! :)
ps. Adding the word didn't work. Blast!

5 comments:
Ha ha! That reading level thing is hilarious! I can't figure out why I would be a genius. I checked a bunch of my friends, including one who has a very big lexicon (ha ha), and found 2 high school, 1 junior high, and 1 elementary school! Ha ha! I guess I'm the smart one of my friends. Isn't that a crack up!
how funny! that is kinda fun, but obviously not accurate seeing as though mine came up genius too (and i just misspelled genius and had to use the spell checker). no worries.
All I can say is, Junior High baby. Junior High. If EVER you feel stupid again, just think of how much more stupid I am!!!
ps: I love your hair!
pps: If you move to Balitmore, we'll practically be neighbors!!
Janae, supposedly my blog's reading level is "elementary school." Sad life.
I agree with you on the IQ thing - so sad. It is especially bad when I'm pregnant. Studies prove that too. Please send more pictures of your hair!
Post a Comment