Saturday, August 11, 2007

Tortoises Lose


We all know the old Tortoise and Hare adage. "Slow and steady wins the race," right? Wrong. Tortoises lose. How do I know this? Because this (Saturday) morning I ran my half marathon. And I was both slow and steady. I picked one pace and kept it up the entire time - I never stopped, I never walked, I never rested. And I definitely didn't win!! No, fast and steady wins the race. But I did finish. In 3:05:11. (The winner did it in 1:15:00. Ouch. I can't even imagine running that fast, that long!) But my time is not bad, considering the longest I have ever run before the half was my 10K just a couple weeks ago! Samuel came with me, but because of his health problems he just walked quickly next to me rather than jogging. I'm so glad he was there because I cannot imagine what I would have done for three hours without company!

Anyway, I am really pleased with myself for actually doing it. Now I just hurt like heck. Hopefully I can recover quickly! I don't have pictures (we got there at 5:30 am and it was too dark, so we left the camera in the car thinking we'd take pics at the end, but by then we had forgotten), so I'm just gonna put a pic on of the Provo River trail that we ran on. Oh, in case you care, the race started up Provo Canyon (three miles south from Vivian Park) and went down to the Riverwoods shopping center. So we had a great time and now I can finally say that I've completed my goal: I ran a half marathon.

4 comments:

Asialene said...

Good for you, Janae!!! Congratulations! You are one of the most determined people I know. Great job. :)

denise @ little ant design said...

Congrats on accomplishing a half marathon. I'm impressed!

katieo said...

Yay for you Janae! What an accomplishment!

heidizinha said...

congrats! you are amazing!