A random picture of Nico crying...although I think it fits this post well.
A couple days ago, as we drove home from kindergarten, Seara asked Sam and I, "What is a stepdad?"
I looked at Sam and sighed. This was going to be a hard one to explain.
"Well, sometimes mommies and daddies decide not to be married any more, that's called getting divorced. And when a mommy and daddy get divorced, and the mommy gets married again to a different man, that man is called a stepdad, because he's not the kids' real dad. But daddy and I, we're never going to get divorced. Ever. We are going to stay married forever and ever and ever." Elijah grinned at that last part.
Seara thought for a second and replied, "I think Princess Baby and Buzz Lightyear are going to get divorced (they are currently married), and Princess Baby is going to marry Woody. Then Woody will be a stepdad."
[Sigh.] That would be super funny if it weren't so terribly sad.


12 comments:
wow...she really caught the concept. My kids have asked that question before too. It is sad. (but rather funny that there is a little soap opera going on in toyland at your house)
It took a long time for my kids to get that one too. They thought everyone got married twice. And they asked when I would get married again.
Don't you love explaining these things to your kids? I especially look forward to the day that one of my kids comes home asking why so and so has two moms. . . .
Rachel - Oh heavens. I hadn't gotten that far in my thought process yet. I'm done for.
It is hard to explain these kind of things...
We're only starting to scratch the surface with Celeste, but starting to realize what we're up against. The other day Celeste saw the picture of Laban (after Nephi had killed him) in her illustrated Book of Mormon and said, "They deaded him, right?" Ummm...
Aubrey - Speaking of deading things, we put out a mouse trap the other day (not here at my parents house), and Elijah asks, "Mom, is that going to kill the mouse? Because Jesus created mice and I don't think we should kill them." UGH. That's what I get for not letting my kids gingerly stomp on the ants and other bugs outside.
Yeah, I have yet to have one of those conversations yet. So many fun things to look forward to..
:'( Aww... that really is sad!
And you're right, it's also funny...oh, toy soap operas...
Although one purpose all my Barbie soap operas served as a kid was proving to me that I really didn't like all the unnecessary drama! ;)
Oh my gosh! What a sad yet funny story! We love reading your blog because of these stories. You have such a great way to make us all feel like we were there to witness this experience. I wish Woody and Buzz lots of luck!
S&D - Okay, I laughed out loud at that last line! Seriously, so funny! Poor Woody has been having bad luck lately because he's supposed to be marrying Ellie (another doll), but she keeps getting sick before the wedding. So he needs all the luck he can get!
Boy I'm glad I don't have to answer questions like that...yet
Isn't that the truth!
My kids haven't really thought too much about why they have 3 sets of grandparents (well, 2 "sets" and one single). Maybe they just think it's always like that or something. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever gotten the question why Gramma B doesn't have a Grandpa to go along with her.
Poor Woody!!! He really could use some luck!
Post a Comment