Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Plant

The day that Samuel and I met, I received a small plant from a friend. In the course of its life the plant has moved eight times, twice across the country with kids kicking it the entire way. And yet it lives on.

It has gone 9 months without water, 6 months without sun, and 3 months with the pot's drain hole taped shut. That last one almost killed it. And yet it lives on.

Its leaves have been bent, and ripped, and torn.
It has outgrown its pot twice, and yet stayed in a tiny container much too small for its root base.
It has been frozen and sunburned.
It has been neglected and abused.

And yet it lives on.


I'm starting to wonder if this is some sort of symbol of my marriage ...

Disclaimer: (added after receiving a concerned email) For those who take me entirely too seriously, this was meant to be humorous. Most marriages have been neglected and ignored at some point or another, especially during child-rearing years. Surviving it only speaks to the resiliency of the marriage. If you are concerned about my treatment in the marriage, you surely do not know Samuel. The guy is as kind and gentle as they come.

14 comments:

Natalie said...

this reminds me of a plant my mom has! she got it for being a room parent in my 6th grade class. she kills EVERY plant, but not this one! we never water it, it collects dust, but its still alive! its been almost 11 years!

Cara said...

That is seriously amazing. And I sincerely hope it isn't a symbol of your marriage...if so, your life is way more miserable than you let on. (Not that you let on it's miserable at all...you know what I mean!)

janae said...

Nah, a periodically neglected marriage doesn't mean misery. It just means room for improvement. :) I mean, is any marriage nurtured as much as it should be 100% of the time?!

Stacy Lynn Carroll said...

That's so funny cause I have a plat too! His name is Larry. Matt and I bought him when we were first married to liven up our apartment. And he has lived through all sorts of abuse! Yet, he still keeps on living!

Lyndi said...

LOL! The best part of that post is the disclaimer!!

Paige said...

Is this to mock my pain as I grieve for killing that cactus?? jk I wish I could say that I have ONE plant that has survived with me... but Joseph and I have killed numerous plants during the course of our relationship(s). Hey, maybe that is a symbol of our love... ;)

Oh and, regarding your disclaimer, I can totally attest to the Ricks boys being, like, the best ever.

janae said...

Paige - AHHH! I completely did NOT make the connection between your "I kill plants" post and my "I try to kill plants but can't succeed" post! That is sooooo funny. I actually wrote this post last December, but never got around to taking a picture. (If that's not lazy, I don't know what is. The plant is in my bedroom.) Perhaps is was seeing your dead cactus that unconsciously prompted me to finally take a picture of my plant??

Caroline said...

What if we read it and were concerned about Sam's treatment in the marriage:) Are we hanging out on Saturday?

janae said...

Pookie - Funny you should mention it ... when I originally wrote the disclaimer I wrote:

"If you are concerned about my treatment in the marriage, you surely do not know Samuel. If anyone was doing the abusing, it's me."

But then I was worried people would take that too seriously too! Great minds think alike. :)

And YES. I'll call you.

Sarah Rachelle said...

Heehee! I love your sense of humor! It's amazing how resilient plants can be and how forgiving our sweet husbands can be too! ;-)

Kori said...

I'm very impressed, I only have fake plants in my house.

Stephen and Debbie said...

We have a "Love Fern" also. It has been through a move here to Utah and 5 years. So funny.

Qait said...

I have to know what kind of plant that is.
I have The Black Thumb of Death.
Michael has learned to get me potted flowers and very hearty, desert-worthy plants. And plant food.
I have a rubber plant that is doing quite well (since it's famine-proof, practically), and so far I'm staying on schedule with watering some mums he recently bought me to celebrate our new kitchen table.
All past plants have DIED a sorry death.

Asialene said...

I can't believe it's still alive! That is so neat. I love that you got it the day you met Sam.